• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

White Trash What the...?

Camaro Discussions (NON-TECHNICAL)

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:02 pm
So what is up with us third gen owners being called white trash (those of us that are white). I've had my car for about a year now and it is a good looking 83 xfire v8 white with T's but I keep getting told to cut my hair into a mullet and move into the trailer park. What the hell? Since when was a beautiful peice of american muscle looked uppon as a sign of low class and bad hair dos? I've seen several camaros and firebirds in my area that really are trashed but man why do we as camaro owners get such crap and what has made it so?

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:18 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Like it or not, third gens do have the sterotype of being a white trash car. As for why, many people don't have the same respect for them as we do and you can get one for dirt cheap.

I took one of those stupid "are you a redneck" tests once. First question, Do you drive a Camaro? 2nd question, If so, is it a 3rd gen?

Go to the forums on anti-rice.com, most people refer to the 3rd gen as the mullet gen.

It's just a sterotype, anyone who says to grow a mullet...just show them what a V8 is all about :wink:

http://www.chevymonkey.com/
2002 3.8 M5 T-Tops

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:36 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
I would have to say I didn't have that much respect till I bought a camaro, I realized I was wrong. But generly in my town you hardly ever see a nice 3rd gen, mostly younger teens drive them and beat the crap out of them. I think that the camaro has had a bad rap for a long time. People calling it the poor mans sports car. Thats just because they don't know, I bet that they have never driven one or been in one, they are just brain washed like many people are becaause they dont know any better. I woulden't worrie about what anyone thinks, Because when I'm driving I don't care about anything but me, my car and the road.
Camaro owner for life!
2008 Victory Red Z06

12.7 1/4 lol driver mod needed

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:08 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Google search many years ago.
Honestly, the minority of third gen owners aren't redneck, mullet wearing individuals. When I go to gatherings they don't seem to be that way (okay, maybe one or two, lol). Where I live the area is full of third gens that aren't appreciated for what they are, but are just cheap cars for people with no money to get around in. They are generally rusted out, many colors (brown and black primer), no two wheels/tires are the same and they just don't give a crap about their car. It's just transportation.

Then there's folks like us -- we love our cars, are proud of our cars and spend most of our money on our cars.

When people come up to me during shows I tell them, this is an attainable car for anyone. You can find one anywhere (at dealer auctions they go for $100-$300, no kidding)-- you just have to be prepared to work hard and spend lots of money to get it beautiful again and when you do it's so worth it. 8O

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Cardomain
Unfortunately in my area the are known as cranker cars. Because it seems like all of the meth users drive 3rd gens that are just beat to crap.

What is really unfortunate is mine is starting to look as bad on the outside. 8O I really need to get the body work done and get this thing painted. :lol:

1991 Camaro RS 3.1 V-6, Flowmaster exhuast, TPI air intake, Hypertech chip, 180* thermostat, accel super coil, white face glow gauges.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:07 am
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Their is a big diffrence between someone who takes care of their car and someone who dossen't and eveyone knows it regardless of what kind of car it is just keep yours looking good people will notice.
2008 Victory Red Z06

12.7 1/4 lol driver mod needed

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:16 am
Minimum of 80 Posts
Minimum of 80 Posts
this is so true, the stereotype is beating my head. but i love my car way to much to even do anything about it. there are ALOT of 3rd gens in tower district(fresno) and these things are beat to hell. mine however is all shiny with insane rims and a stereo that will beat your face. viper red, the only downside is its a 4clyn, but i break ALOT of necks in my area with my car. i love it. people always try to race me and i just laugh and say no thanks. but ill get a bigger motor in it one day. but anyways, when i say, i have an 85 camaro. you can tell by the look on peoples faces they are like oh you drive a piece of crap basically. but i dont... haha. one day these cars will be hot again and people will want them. and clean ones will go for more than 4 grand.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:27 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Surfing
5-Speed wrote:
Like it or not, third gens do have the sterotype of being a white trash car. As for why, many people don't have the same respect for them as we do and you can get one for dirt cheap.

I took one of those stupid "are you a redneck" tests once. First question, Do you drive a Camaro? 2nd question, If so, is it a 3rd gen?

Go to the forums on anti-rice.com, most people refer to the 3rd gen as the mullet gen.

It's just a sterotype, anyone who says to grow a mullet...just show them what a V8 is all about :wink:

- It's funny when today's "tuner" car fans pick on the old mullet gens. I mean, what options did THEY have in the 80's for a performance car? A performance car that can still kick many of thier butts today!
- The 3rd gen Camaro's are also a victim of the times they lived in. Like it or not, they are linked to the styles of the day. The uneducated (as to the amazing design and performance of the 3rd gens) are quick lump together any negative highlights from the 80's with this great car. Maybe it helps those with insecurities about themselves feel better by belittling what they know can kick thier a$$! :lol:
In fact, when the new 3rd gen 1982 Camaro Z28 was introduced, it was chosen as car of the year by Motor Trend! Pretty darn good for white trash. :D
- Lastly, today's reputation as a cheap car that's not appreciated is likely because 3rd gens have now stopped depreciating. That means they will likely never be any cheaper. It offers great "bang-for-the-buck" for those who have little or no income, and likely no intentions to fix it up. BUT, it also means that their value has nowhere to go but up. And that is good news for those who wish to save their cars from the scrap pile.
After 15 years since the last one was made (and 24 since the 1st) any rough 3rd gens that are still around won't last much longer without a lot of TLC. Soon we will see their numbers drop fairly dramatically, and those that remain in good condition due to the care invested by their owners, WILL be appreciated. :D

That's my speech for today! :lol:
1989 Iroc-Z, 305 TPI, 5 spd, 3.08 diff My Car Domain Website

Return to Camaro Non-Tech