• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

Attention LS1 owners!

Camaro Discussions (NON-TECHNICAL)

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:20 pm
Minimum of 100 Posts
Minimum of 100 Posts
For those of you with LS1 equipped F-bodies, I have a few quick questions :)

1 - Is it your daily driver? or do you drive it in the rain at all? The only reason I ask is because whatever car I decide to buy will be my daily driver, and I will probably be driving in rain somewhat often, at least during winter months, and I'm curious as to if it's way too scary to try driving, or can easily be done, haha

2 - How reliable has the LS1 been for you? I've heard they'll last 200K+ as long as you treat them well

3 - I've heard that after the 2000 (I think) model year, the LS1's started coming with an LS6 intake manifold? How much of a HP difference does it make?

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:19 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Through an internet search.
Personally I don't own a LS1 Camaro, but I don't think it would be to bad to drive in the rain, as long as you don't do any thing too crazy. Know if you rev it up and dump it, I'd say it could get a little hairy. As far as reliablity goes I'd say you could easily get 200k+, as long as you propperly maintain the car, my 305 TBI has right at 160k and it has just started using a little oil. As far as the LS6 intake goes, I don't know. What I have heard, is that the LS6 intake isn't much better than better than the LS1 unit. I don't know personally, that's just what I've heard. What late 4th Gen. are you thinking about buying? Are you looking at an SS or Z28? If it was me I'd get the SS, it has more power, but that's just me though. :iroc:
1991 RS Camaro with a fresh 355 ci Small Block with several mods.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:35 pm
Minimum of 100 Posts
Minimum of 100 Posts
Personally, I'm not particularly biased towards the Z28, SS, Formula, or Trans Am. If it has the LS1 and is in good shape, I'm interested, haha :). I guess the main things I'm avoiding if I went w/an LS1 F-body for my next car is a red car, as I don't feel like attracting THAT much attention from cops, and I don't feel like paying the extra insurance for the convertible. Besides, it's Washington, and for the summer, T-tops are just as cool, if not cooler anyway! :P

Is your car a daily driver? and is it manual or auto?

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:39 pm
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
I dont have an LS1.

But my 1985 LG4, has over 205xxxkm on it. And she purrs like a kitten. It was well taken care of. The only problem mechanically is that their is an exhaust leak in the exhaust manifold.

My engine runs really strong, tranny shifts nicely. Its been taken care of pretty well, it is my daily driver (sun, rain, snow). In the sun its great and in the rain its pretty good if you don't put your foot to the floor :lol:

It hasnt snowed yet, when it does it will be...intresting. Probably not the best snowmobile, but mines gonna have to be a snowmobile.

I think camaro's are great daily driver cars. They are practical enough for me for commuting around, the gas mileage isnt tooooo bad... and they kick some ford butt on the track :D
85 Camaro Z28 - 305ci 5.0L carb, auto - Stock

ImageImage

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:16 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
Best daily driver I ever have had :lol:

Yes daily driver here Rain, snow or shine I drive my car all year round except when the snow is over 4 inches deep then the air dam becomes a snow plow..

I have no problem driving and I don't even have ASR it is more about being smart with how you drive adjusting with the weather..

I can't say they are all reliable because that would depend on how it was treated and maintained by the owners before you..
But me being the only owner having it since brand new I have had zero problems and have only replaced parts with performance stuff other than that it is all the GM OEM stuff still on the car..
So mine has treated me very well the only problems I have had were due to modifying it :lol:

They just get thristy for oil depending on how you drive them, usually a quart every 1500-3000 miles so you have to check your oil weekly..

But they are powerful cars and get pretty good gas mileage depending if it is auto or 6-speed..

2001-2002 only have the LS-6 Intakes they are worth about 16-20hp on 98-00 models due to those years having more of an agressive camshaft..
01-02 use a vortec truck cam which had incrfeased low end torque and were more emissions friendly which is why on 01-02's there is no EGR system..

It would reall depend on the plans for the car all years have their pro's and cons but in the end they are all equal in Hp..
And I wouldnt buy into the hype of SS, Z28, t/a and Firebird they are all equal in power
So an LS-1 is a LS-1 regardless of what model it is in

2000 was the 1st year of the better flowing redesigned exhaust manifolds..

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:36 pm
Minimum of 100 Posts
Minimum of 100 Posts
Well, that clears things up! Thanks! :mrgreen:

My plans for the car are basically just a nice, sporty daily driver that can haul some serious @$$ when I want it to :) And maybe take it up the the drag strip for some fun on the weekend. Wouldn't go crazy w/mods if I did buy some. Maybe just exhaust, CAI, headers. Simple bolt-ons. (Though I must say, I'd be all over the idea of an SLP loudmouth if I didn't think it'd attract the cops from blocks away! :lol: )

Depending on how my hunt goes when I'm ready to buy, I'm going for one with fairly low mileage if I can swing it. A 6-speed is also quite desirable. (Not sure about an auto, I hear it'll get way worse mileage and isn't quite as quick)

Oh yeah, about the rapid oil consumption. Is that normal for an LS1? (and any V8 for that matter?) or is it an occasional issue with them?

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:55 am
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
Glad you made a decision to get a camaro, and an LS1 for that matter. I want one as soon as i can afford one.

I find camaro's to be pretty good fun all in one cars myself too. I can goto the store and work nicely, and when i goto school i can step on it, cuz thts where it rly matters. So many damn ricers. (im gonna die at school doing that i bet) :lol:

And they look just dammmmnnn fine.

Me ill drive an auto or a stick, i dont really prefer one. however i have heard of automatic trannys gettin worse mileage then a stick. As for rapid oil consumtion, i dont get any as far as i can tell. Ive had my car for about a month and Its still filled to the rim in oil. However i don't have an LS1, wish i did. So cant help ya there.

Good luck on finding a camaro
85 Camaro Z28 - 305ci 5.0L carb, auto - Stock

ImageImage

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:15 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Oil consumption is natural for a lot of high millage cars. At some point they all will use a little. As long as you take care of the car it will take care of you. One EXTREMELY USEFUL PIECE OF INFO. I'D LIKE TO POINT OUT IS THAT WHEN YOU REPLACE PARTS AS THEY GO BAD, BE SURE TO PUT HIGH QUALITY PARTS BACK ON. I LEARNED THIS WITH VARIOUS PARTS THAT I HAD TO REPLACE WHEN I GOT MY CAR. LOW QUALITY PARTS WILL GET YOU BUY, BUT THEY GO BAD IN A VERY SHORT TIME. Any way your making a great choice by getting the LS1. I've heard nothing but good from these engines. The main thing is to get what you want when you get it, then you won't regret your decision. If you want a 6-speed and the SS package get it. If you want a sinister looking car get a black SS, to me, nothing says I'm bad to the bone like a black SS Camaro. It's your choice, I'm just giving you ideas :D . Good Luck!!!

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:31 pm
Minimum of 100 Posts
Minimum of 100 Posts
Well, I plan to try and spend the extra money on a lower mileage car as long as I can find one. I think it'll be worth it in the long run. 8) I see alot of LS1's w/under 70K (and sometimes under 60K) for good prices.

And you think like me. There's nothing more badass than a nice, black muscle car. I gotta admit though, I almost can't decide if I'd rather have the Camaro or the Trans Am. Both beautiful cars though!

I mostly see imports or mustangs around here these days. Gotta sport F-body pride! (I'm not an import-hater, I'd just much rather have the V8 )

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:52 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Online search
Yeah! I think the T/A's do look better than the Camaro's but they usually cost more too. I am not going to rush out and sell my Camaro to buy a T/A. If anything I'll wait and add a T/A to the garage stall, next to the Camaro. Good Luck
Simpleman'Z 28
Moroso CAI,Relocated AIT,TB bypass,Custom pcm tune,OE Zo6 Wheels,Falken FK452 tires, Hooker Competition cat-back exhaust, more mods coming.

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:40 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Yeah, the whole solid black exterior is just plain sick!! Nothing strikes fear like an all black Camaro with a good sounding exhaust!!! Personally my Camaro isn't black (it's on the complete other side of the color spectrum, aka-white), but every time I see a black Camaro w/ a V-8 I think that person has got it all figured out. Personally I'd go with the Camaro for 3 reasons: 1.)It isn't as dressed up looking like the Trans Am. 2.)The Camaro will cost less. and 3.)The Camaro is a Chevy, I know the Trans Am has Chevy power, but it just ain't the same. It would be like ford putting a factory Chevy Small Block in their muskrat!! To me pontiac just doesn't have the image it once had. I'm not saying that pontiacs won't perform I'm just saying that they have lost their identity. When I think of pontiac I think of cars like the GTO, 1st & 2nd Gen. Firebird/Trans Ams, and the early to mid-60's Super Dutty cars. I guess this loss in image is why they ain't coming back with a Firebird/Trans Am in late '08?

Return to Camaro Non-Tech