• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

Questions About 4th Gen. V-6 Cars.

Camaro Discussions (NON-TECHNICAL)

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:16 am
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Through an internet search.
I have been looking into getting another Camaro to get as my week day driver, and I have decided to get a 4th Gen. this go around. I was wondering about the V-6 cars. I don't have that much experience with these cars, and I was wanting to know more about them. The 1st thing I'd like to know is about the MPG they get. I assume it is a great deal better than my '91 305 w/4.10 gears. I was also wondering what wind of performance they had. My mom's '00 Impala has a 3.4 in it, and it goes on pretty good for what it is (it's not the fastest by no means). I was also wondering about the reliability of these engines. Do they last or do they give a lot of problems. Also, how hard is it to find a 5-speed car? I know they offered it in these cars, but I was just wondering if they are harder to find. If there is anything else that anyone has to say about these cars just let me know.

P.S. I'm not selling my '91, I just don't want to run the miles much higher than they already are. Besides that I could never get rid of my '91, I could never get back what I've put into it in paint & performance modifications.
1991 RS Camaro with a fresh 355 ci Small Block with several mods.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:48 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
3.8's and 3.4's are very reliable they have been proven in 100,000's of cars already on the road..
But like anything else any used car can be a good deal or a lemon it all relies on how it was treated by the previous owners..
I believe the mpg and stuff is in the 4th gen data base..
There is plenty of 98-02 3.8's here in Jersey running 14's N/A

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:58 pm
Minimum of 80 Posts
Minimum of 80 Posts
Other than the general drawbacks about 4th gen camaros overall, the v6 camaros are pretty good!

I have had my 3.8L Series II 1996 Camaro for a couple years now, and it's served me very well on both sides of performance as well as MPG. The 3.8L v6's come stock at ~200 hp, which is enough to blow away those ricerockets and mustangs with your daily driver car, LOL!!! And when I took my car 900 miles to ozzfest in 2006, I calculated my mpg to be about 30 on the highway, which is decent for the size engine it has. As far as city miles goes, I think I get around 25, which is still decent, but not great. Though you can tune your PCM to get even more mpg out of it!

5-speed v6's are somewhat hard to come by. I think I've seen 2 so far, in person. And the 3.08 gears that usually come standard in the v6 versions helps with that MPG.

Overall, it's a nice investment for daily driving versus your v8 with 4.1 gears, lol. Especially with gas prices being what they are.
1996 Camaro RS 3.8L V6, 160° Thermostat, Pacesetter Shorties, QTP Exhaust Cutoff, Tuned 1997 PCM
My Car Domain Page
New Headers Vid

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:22 pm
Minimum of 60 Posts
Minimum of 60 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Just Browsing.
I used to own a 96 Camaro with the 3.8. It was a great car. It had more power than my 85 Z28 that I own now. It got 29 mpg. And that was with over 140,000 miles on it. I regret everyday that I sold it. I would own another one in a heart beat. :headbang:

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:39 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
This is all good news. I've seen a few 5-speed V-6 cars around. As a matter of fact my Pastor at Church had one for a while. I could be going to look at a 3.4L car tommorow. I am also wondering what would be the best performace air filter/air intake kit for these cars? Also, if anyone else has any other information that is useful about these cars, I'd really apreciate it. Thanks!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:32 pm
Minimum of 600 Posts
Minimum of 600 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: your mom
I don't have any information, but a 1994 black-on-black t-tops Camaro with a 5-speed and 3.4L was the car that originally got me hooked on Camaros again. Someone I worked with over summer was planning on getting married, and she was planning on selling the car for relatively cheap, she just said "around $1200." So when I find out they weren't getting married, I ended up just buying my cousin's car. Either way, a 4th gen V6 was the car that started it for me.
1991 Camaro RS (Coupe, 3.1L V6, 700R4 auto)
1988 Camaro RS (T-tops, 5.0L V8, 5-speed)
1996 Nissan Altima (2.4L, 5-speed, 33+ MPG)
1987 Jeep Wrangler (4.0L, 5-speed, fully waterproofed interior, 4" lift, 33x12.5R15 Pro Comps)

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:04 am
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Yeah, they are great cars. I'm going to have to get something that gets a little better than what I'm getting right know. It wasn't to bad with the 3.08 rear end, but the 4.10 rear end kills it for MPG. Somebody ask me the other day why I didn't get something like a cavalier, and I said I'm about 6' 5" tall how do you think that is going to work. I've got a friend who has one of those turds and it is heck on me to get in and out of it. The Camaro is better because it is longer, and you set lower, which allows you to stretch your legs out. So, I'm still looking for one because the one I thought I would check out wound up getting sold before I could get by to look at it. Oh well, I didn't have the money yet anyway. I do like the sound of high 20's for MPG. If anyone can provide any more info I'd really enjoy it.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:49 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
tdmmusic wrote:
I used to own a 96 Camaro with the 3.8. It was a great car. It had more power than my 85 Z28 that I own now. It got 29 mpg. And that was with over 140,000 miles on it. I

A 4th gen 3.8 will beat a 305 especially if it is a Y87 optioned car :lol:

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:11 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Yeah, 305s in general arenot the best stock performing cars, but they can be modded to work pretty well. I've read of people built 10 & 11 second cars out of 305s.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:58 pm
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: browsing the internet
my brother-in-law just picked up a 1999 rs with a 3.8l. 154k miles and the car runs great. granted they havent drove it much, (tampa, fl to newnan, ga and around town a couple of times). lights the wheels up pretty good. as far as roomy for a 6'5" person, im 5'8" and my knees are still bent slightly with the seat all the way back. but we trade comfort for style. just a side note, i was told that you can take the supercharger off of the pontiac grand prix gtp and it will bolt right up to the 3rd gen 3.8l giving 120 more horses. havent yet researched.
i myself have a 89 rs with a 2.8l its got some potency, all stock.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:05 am
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
The super charger off of the Pontiac won't work. The reason for this is because the throttle body will be in the back of the engine bay under the firewall, or at least that's what I've heard anyway. I probably wouldn't go to the supercharger just because it will be my daily driver, so it really wouldn't be all that great for my application.

Return to Camaro Non-Tech