• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

87 camaro iroc-z z28 ,

Want to know how many of your car were produced? What were standard equipment with your model? Restoration topics

Moderator: Moderators

1987 camaro Iroc -z for $600, been sittin for 7 years.

good deal
64%
good luck
14%
hmmmm questionable
21%

Total votes : 14

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:12 am
hello im currently looking and will be purchasing a 87 camaro which has been sitting for the last seven years, 6 in tall grass..

It has a rebuilt Lt1 and tuned port injection, as far as i was told the only things it needs work on are:

New Tires
New Head Gaskets
New Spark Plug Wires and plugs
And New Weatherstripping
one heck of a cleaning job exterior and exterior

my question is what else should i look for in the engine that might need cleaned extra or tweaked or even replaced... oh and it is an automatic sadly... if you have the time could you price these things wholesale?

Thanks for your time
-Peace
-Dan

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:18 pm
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Surfing
Welcome. Sounds like it has possibilities. Has it ever run during those years, or has it just sat there dead?

Are you sure it has the LT1 and TPI? That's kind's unusual :scratch:

The LT1 is defined as a SFI (Sequential Fuel Injection). They were in the 4th gen Camaros from '93 to '97 and look like this . . .
While 3rd gen Camaros had the TPI (Tuned Port Injection) engines. The LB9 or the L98. And they looked quite different . . .

Did some previous owner actually swap a 4th gen LT1 engine block into that 3rd gen and then installed a 3rd gen TPI intake on it? Not impossible I guess, just a little unusual.
1989 Iroc-Z, 305 TPI, 5 spd, 3.08 diff My Car Domain Website

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:10 pm
IrocTopless wrote:
Welcome. Sounds like it has possibilities. Has it ever run during those years, or has it just sat there dead?

Okay, the car does run.. no 1 has started it in the last 6 years though..., the owners father drove it to where it sits currently in the backyard.

okay and on the type of engine it has... now that you ask and show me these pics and give me a little more detail on the camaros...

theres a slight difference between the tuned port that the picture shows and the one i looked at....right on the top of the engine.. you see how on the LT1 pic the SFI is kind of "Graded" well thats what this one looks like, but it has the Intake Port from the L98 or Lb9...

i would have to get a picture for you, it kind of looks like they were intergrated... wierd...

Are you sure it has the LT1 and TPI? That's kind's unusual :scratch:

The LT1 is defined as a SFI (Sequential Fuel Injection). They were in the 4th gen Camaros from '93 to '97 and look like this . . .
While 3rd gen Camaros had the TPI (Tuned Port Injection) engines. The LB9 or the L98. And they looked quite different . . .

Did some previous owner actually swap a 4th gen LT1 engine block into that 3rd gen and then installed a 3rd gen TPI intake on it? Not impossible I guess, just a little unusual.
-Peace
-Dan

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:17 pm
Minimum of 60 Posts
Minimum of 60 Posts
Hey im also from montana as you can see!! its good to see another person from montna on here. On to the car i think its a good deal if its a real LT1 even if its not running or maybe the guys mistaking and it just has a 350 and if its running its still a good deal.
1991 Camaro Z28 350 with 3'' flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:30 am
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Check for holes in the floor if you can.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:14 am
Minimum of 200 Posts
Minimum of 200 Posts
If it has pleniums or those intake ports, its TPI... NOT a LT1.

I would look for rust on the floors and in the wheel wells, also if you do buy it you must replace all fluids.. I would take it to a shop for a full tuneup.
'93 Trans Am w/ M29
My Exhaust

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:01 pm
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Other stuff of the top of my tiny head . . .

- Inspect for any mice damage. They like to build little homes in the strangest places.
- Have the brakes checked as well including the hand brake (which can sieze from lack of use).
- Grease all the bushing, etc.
- The tires (which you did mention) may have also suffered some "rot" damage from sitting in the grass after that many years. They may not be safe even if they still have tread left.
- The wiperblades will definitly need replacing.

I would love to see any before & after pics, or just what she looks like. :)

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:56 am
Okay, I did glance at the floor but i havent pulled any of the carpet, it does look as though the weatherstripping on the t-tops held up...

and yes its a TPI must be a 350 because the TPI , i dunno what part of the air coolant system is right on the top of the motor but it looks different than the pic you showd me, it must be a 350 , or a customized port... would it be illlogical to call that part the manifold of the filtration system?, i dunno......

ill try to get some pics as it is sitting right now, i would have to borrow a camera though...

and theres not much rust damage on the rims.. its been sitting it pretty soft soil so they shouldent have bowed out or anythin...

Yeah as far as the type of engine its probly not an Lt1, is it the L98 or the LB9 that is the 350.. i think ill go back up and check the book in the car... its still sitting, while i could be working on it....

N e way thanks for the help and i was wondering from what u know how much would u estimate it would cost to get a tuneup at a decently honest mechanic?...

(it needs new belts also)
-Peace
-Dan

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:24 pm
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
An '87 IrocZ had 3 engine options (all V-8's) . . .
- LG4 This is a 305ci (5.0L) engine with a 4-barrel carb. This was the last year for a carburated engine in any IrocZ or Z28's. It has 170hp / 250tq.

- LB9 This is also a 305ci (5.0L) engine with a TPI intake. With an auto tranny it has 190hp / 295tq.
- L98 This is a 350ci (5.7L) engine also with the TPI intake. It was only available with an auto tranny, never publicly came with the 5-speed standard. This one is possible with that car since it's an auto.
Note; the LB9 & L98 are almost impossible to tell apart visually.

If the engine in that car is still stock, you can tell what engine it has by the VIN. Look at the 8th digit. If it's a H it's an LG4, F is an LB9, and 8 is an L98.

For more information on that IrocZ, check out this link here at CamaroSource . . .
http://www.camarosource.ca/php/camaro_info_db/index.php?year=1987
:)

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:53 am
IrocTopless wrote:
An '87 IrocZ had 3 engine options (all V-8's) . . .
- LG4 This is a 305ci (5.0L) engine with a 4-barrel carb. This was the last year for a carburated engine in any IrocZ or Z28's. It has 170hp / 250tq.

- LB9 This is also a 305ci (5.0L) engine with a TPI intake. With an auto tranny it has 190hp / 295tq.
- L98 This is a 350ci (5.7L) engine also with the TPI intake. It was only available with an auto tranny, never publicly came with the 5-speed standard. This one is possible with that car since it's an auto.
Note; the LB9 & L98 are almost impossible to tell apart visually.

If the engine in that car is still stock, you can tell what engine it has by the VIN. Look at the 8th digit. If it's a H it's an LG4, F is an LB9, and 8 is an L98.

For more information on that IrocZ, check out this link here at CamaroSource . . .
http://www.camarosource.ca/php/camaro_info_db/index.php?year=1987
:)

okay its an Lb9, one thing is the TPI port on the top of the engine looks different than your car... maybe its because its a coupe or a different engine.... aight... yeah the floor is good, the t-tops are still in good condition also.. no water damage.. just mice eating the spark plug wires up so far.. should probably check the exhaust too huh....

aight talk to ya later.. i got the vin number wheres the vin decoder.. .. carfax sucks it costs money.. aight peace
-Peace
-Dan

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:30 pm
1st Country USA
2nd Manufacturer G General Motors
3rd Make 1 Chevrolet
4th Carline Code F F-Body
5th Series P Camaro (All Models)
6th Body Type 2 2-Door Hatchback Coupe
7th Restraint Syst. 1 Manual seatbelts
8th Engine F LB9 V8 305-cid Engine
9th Check Digit
(What is this?) X VALID - Your VIN Appears to be CORRECT.
Your VIN's Check Digit: X Computed Check Digit: X
10th Year H 1987
11th Factory N Norwood, Ohio
12th - 17th Seq. Prod # 104622 104622

well thats cool, it was produced in ohio... wasnt 87 the last year that factory was still producing cars...if i do recall correctly.. 8)
-Peace
-Dan

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:59 pm
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: I am the Administrator :-)
excellent prompt responses IROCTOPLESS :) :thumbup:
1992 Camaro Z28. Blue/silver, Custom Blue/Silver Leather seats, Rebuilt Engine, Cammed, Headers, TT ][ Rims ...
NEW http://WWW.CAMAROSOURCE.CA
Over 3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Photo Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, 3,000+ Factory Options, Forums, Decoders, Reviews, Classifieds...
3,500+ Camaro Information Database

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:53 am
hey hows it goin, i was just going to let you know ive gotten about halfway through the cleanup process.. besides most of the rust..

theres no more grass on the top of the engine and i am almost done shining up the intake manifold...

i have before pictures but i havent had a chance to upload them...

ill have after pictures when i work on the car a little more...

Question: if the car has been sitting for that long, is it almost manditory i replace the spark plugs?.... if not just a good idea?

thanks for your time
-Peace
-Dan

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:48 am
Minimum of 2000 Posts
Minimum of 2000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Roj told me. He is my hero. One day, im gonna grow up and be just like him, You'll see.
Sorry i didnt see this earlier, but the main thing you have to worry about with a car that has been sitting like this is. The cylinders that had the valves open. Im sure that the cylinder walls have had some surface rust on them and are pitted. This will cause some problems down the road for you.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:59 am
abob wrote:
Sorry i didnt see this earlier, but the main thing you have to worry about with a car that has been sitting like this is. The cylinders that had the valves open. Im sure that the cylinder walls have had some surface rust on them and are pitted. This will cause some problems down the road for you.

okay what type of problems down the road?.. like would i need to replace anything or just clean the engine interior?....

would the oil work the rust off of the cylinder walls? or no?... and would it hurt the oil to put anything like CLR in there?.. and then immediatly changing the oil after the CLR sits in there?...
-Peace
-Dan

Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:08 am
Minimum of 2000 Posts
Minimum of 2000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Roj told me. He is my hero. One day, im gonna grow up and be just like him, You'll see.
naa if the cl walls pit and then it will leave a rough spot and will eventually do a little damage to the rings. Its not gonna be a disaster, but it will eventually burn some oil, and lose some compression.

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:14 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
if its a true LT1 its worth 600 for the just the motor

get it get it
There are only two bowties men fear.
That of 007 and that of Chevrolet

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:23 pm
Okay the car has been running for a good 5 months or more, definitely more. I have a bunch of pics on my myspace and im adding some to the monthly camaro thing http://www.myspace.com/d1s4bl3d check it out.
-Peace
-Dan

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:44 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Hey, thank's for the update. Glad she's working out well. :D

Return to History / Restoration / Decoding