• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

Stock or HOP?

Want to know how many of your car were produced? What were standard equipment with your model? Restoration topics

Moderator: Moderators

What to do with 68 Camaro?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:00 pm

KEEP IT STOCK
73%
HOP IT UP
27%

Total votes : 11

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:00 pm
Minimum of 100 Posts
Minimum of 100 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Found it on a random camaro search.
Should I leave this car stock and fix it up, or should I hop it up with bigger motor, fancy paint, etc.?
It's a #'s matching 68 convertible, 6 cyl 230 ci. one owner, with aprox. 110,000 miles. the condition could be best described as nice from far , but far from nice, just kidding, but it does need a conciderable amount of work done to it. Motor rebuild, gaskets, seals, etc., lots of inteior work, body is ok, passenger door needs work, and so on, I wont go into details unlesss someone asks.
I want to do the right thing.

please fill out poll below :wink:

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:36 pm
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Keep it stock for now and learn all you can about 1st gen Camaros. Then you can always look for a project car, and you'll know how much time and energy will go into it.

Survivor cars like yours are harder and harder to come by. While it will never be as valuable as an orginal big block, it will always be special because of it's orginallity.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:35 pm
Minimum of 600 Posts
Minimum of 600 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: your mom
You could either sell it (considering it has matching #s) and purchase one without matching numbers as a project, maybe just purchase a non-matching car just for the project, or do what I would do and drive it until it dies or needs major work. I know I don't have a classic car, but with 178,000 miles the entire engine still looks new. So I plan on driving it until something croaks, then building a 4.3L V6-powered car, just for uniqueness. You could always do something with the 6-cyl you have now to get more power out of it, and have one of the few powerful I6 camaros out there. To me, the last one sounds the most appealing, as it would allow you to have a matching numbers car but have it be better than stock - if you wanted to sell it, you could always remove the parts.
1991 Camaro RS (Coupe, 3.1L V6, 700R4 auto)
1988 Camaro RS (T-tops, 5.0L V8, 5-speed)
1996 Nissan Altima (2.4L, 5-speed, 33+ MPG)
1987 Jeep Wrangler (4.0L, 5-speed, fully waterproofed interior, 4" lift, 33x12.5R15 Pro Comps)

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:51 pm
Minimum of 100 Posts
Minimum of 100 Posts
Thanks guys, I was kinda leaning towards keeping it stock myself, with a few mods of course, what do you think about paint, original(seafrost green), or something wilder, maroon with white hood stripes. :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:52 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
I voted keep it stock
It looks like a nice car
Keep it as a cruiser, you could always find something with a v8 to make fast to go around and beat up with

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:17 pm
Minimum of 100 Posts
Minimum of 100 Posts
here are a few pics of work needed to be done to her, her name is ROSE btw, after my aunt Rose-aime that gave her to us.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:42 pm
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
looks like a good start!
[img]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc294/ryanwitski/91greenRS_sig.jpg[/img]

http://www.coreuth.blogspot.com (my real life, ha ha)

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:59 pm
Minimum of 600 Posts
Minimum of 600 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: your mom
That's pretty clean for a 40 year old car. I think if you're going to keep it stock, it'd be kind of senseless to paint it a different color. Just a few clean-up things, like replacing hoses and such, removing some parts and cleaning them with some kind of solvent (it was some awesome thing that 4 Wheel & Off Road tested and it worked amazingly), some re-upholstery (driver's side door), some goo-gone to get rid of the duct-taped glovebox (lol), and that's about all I could see from the pictures. & since it's a 6 cylinder, you could make it a clean show car, since high horsepower isn't the biggest factor in a car show.
1991 Camaro RS (Coupe, 3.1L V6, 700R4 auto)
1988 Camaro RS (T-tops, 5.0L V8, 5-speed)
1996 Nissan Altima (2.4L, 5-speed, 33+ MPG)
1987 Jeep Wrangler (4.0L, 5-speed, fully waterproofed interior, 4" lift, 33x12.5R15 Pro Comps)

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:13 am
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Online search
Yeah, just clean it up and replace whatever you need to with original type parts. I would definately keep it stock and find something else for a project.
Simpleman'Z 28
Moroso CAI,Relocated AIT,TB bypass,Custom pcm tune,OE Zo6 Wheels,Falken FK452 tires, Hooker Competition cat-back exhaust, more mods coming.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:01 pm
Minimum of 100 Posts
Minimum of 100 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: . .
Just my opinion, but If it were mine.........................I was just dreaming!
Anyhow, like i was saying , I would keep it stock IF it were a Z28, SS C.O.P.O., Baldwin Motion, or a Yenko Camaro, however it has a six banger. you dont see many, but when you do, who looks? the base models are the ones that you can build and mold into what ever you want it to be.
However if its been in your family for a while, and has sentimental value, keeping it the way it is might mean more to you in the long run.
Just have fun with it, and do what you feel is right. its a beautiful car and a great project either way, and we are all here to help. :D

Allthough, it sure would look good with a LT1-LS1, 4 speed Overdrive, 17 inch Rally repos, a little suspension work, and a bone stock body, and interior...just a thought!
1994 Z28 auto T-Top
1979 Trans Am 400 4-speed

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:59 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Surfing
I was thinking it would be nice to fixer-up to a nice original. Especially if it has some sentimental value (as Franko mentioned).
I also got a car from my great aunt. It's a '68 Chrysler Newport Custom . . .
ImageImage
ImageImage
It's so darn original it hurts. And while it's not a Hemi Cuda, I would never part with it or do huge mods to it.

I really love survivors, and yours is a great example. Light mods like wheels, etc, are cool and reversible, but overall I'd try to keep her within grasp of original. However, if Foose ever got a hold of mine!!!! :lol:
The only thing is your Camaro has WAY more potential to be muscle-modded up and still be desirable than my Newport would ever be. That's the tough decision. One that is very personal and only you can make.

What ever you decide, the most important thing is have fun!!
1989 Iroc-Z, 305 TPI, 5 spd, 3.08 diff My Car Domain Website

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:05 pm
Minimum of 100 Posts
Minimum of 100 Posts
Wow you guys all seem like a great bunch! It's really nice to see that you can still rely on others for help when you need it.
I really appreciate all the valuable info that I have gotten from you all, now I need to raise the money to start this project. It kind of seems daunting when you stop and calculate all the money and hours of labor needed to complete such a task! But I truly beleive that it will be worth it in the long run.

Sorry Franko she's not for sale...lol!

Oh and iroctopless, if Foose ever got a hold of our Camaro, well let's just say they stole it,lol!! and leave it at that!

If and when I get her painted, I want to do the original color (seafrost green) but I'd like to add either pearl or metal flake to it just to spice it up a little, and definately rally wheels, those are really easy to change back to stock.

One other question, or ten lol, what kind of insurance do you have on these classics?, how many of you use them as daily-drivers? if any, or do you just drive them once in a while to shows and such?

As you probably can see I like to study a project thoroughly before I start it.I beleive that research is half the fun, and talking to nice people is very encouraging!
Every so often I stop, look around, and wonder ... what I got myself into!
This time the answer is ......A CAMARO BABY!!

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t52/ ... ?start=all

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:15 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
IrocTopless wrote:
I was thinking it would be nice to fixer-up to a nice original. Especially if it has some sentimental value (as Franko mentioned).
I also got a car from my great aunt. It's a '68 Chrysler Newport Custom . . .

Haha that is Bad A$$ reminds of a Dodge scamp a friend of mine had

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:25 pm
Minimum of 600 Posts
Minimum of 600 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: www.google.com
yes thats like with me my grandpa had a 67 charger with the 440,4 speed,8 3/4 rear and when he passed away it was sold and just a few years ago we managed to recover it but its in pieces as sum dum*** was tryin to make it a drag car

thank god we still have the original 440 and all its parts and the car is still in good condition for 40 years old but i plan on gettin it from my dad and restoring it,so capt'n like everyone has said since its been in your family its prolly a good thing to leave it in its original condition...just my 2 cents :lol:
my 85 IROC-Z-350 4 bolt main,700r tranny,B&M shift kit,edelbrock performer intake,holley carb,headman headers,magnaflow exhaust,charcoal/black interior,new paint and more this year

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:45 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Surfing
irocz85owner wrote:
yes thats like with me my grandpa had a 67 charger with the 440,4 speed,8 3/4 rear and when he passed away it was sold and just a few years ago we managed to recover it but its in pieces as sum dum*** was tryin to make it a drag car

wow That is a sweet ride. Glad to hear it's home again. :D
1989 Iroc-Z, 305 TPI, 5 spd, 3.08 diff My Car Domain Website

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:33 am
Minimum of 600 Posts
Minimum of 600 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: www.google.com
thanks topless im not a big mopar guy but you dont see to many chargers in good condition,it still has the original paint and solid body,id prefer a 1st gen camaro tho :lol: ,sorry for hoggin this post capt'n

P.S.'

capt'n wanna make a fair trade haha im sure dad would love that seein the charger gone and a 1st gen camaro in its spot " :twisted: evil laugh :twisted: s"
my 85 IROC-Z-350 4 bolt main,700r tranny,B&M shift kit,edelbrock performer intake,holley carb,headman headers,magnaflow exhaust,charcoal/black interior,new paint and more this year

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:49 pm
Minimum of 800 Posts
Minimum of 800 Posts
well you can do as I did
I kept all the stock parts (engine-tranny rear etc.)
and hopped it up .
getting original parts is quite expensive nowadays and frankly the car in original state still needed alot of attention .
most importantly is the subframe.
install a subframe connector in the very lest.
Back in the day (late68 early 69)
first thing new owners did was hop up the cars back then and very few stock camaros were seen unless they were owned by a girl.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:50 pm
Minimum of 100 Posts
Minimum of 100 Posts
Sorry iroc85 my aunt would kill me if I traded or sold it.

I'm not sure what you mean by a subframe connector dawg, I'm not a mechanic , but I do learn quickly. :) I like your idea about hopping it up, but I think that morally I need to keep it as stock as possible.

Oh and this one was owned by a girl, for 40 years. :wink:

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:52 pm
Minimum of 100 Posts
Minimum of 100 Posts
BTW dawg, beautiful car you got there!

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:05 pm
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *

'm not sure what you mean by a subframe connector dawg

Your car is a "unibody design", so it tends to flex. There are lots of new subframe connectors avalible.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto ... index.html

That said, if you keep your car a 6 cyclinder, its probably moot. However, if you do want to stiffen up the body, there are "correct reproduction" convertible floor pan braces made.

Next

Return to History / Restoration / Decoding