• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

1995 Z28 Convertable Badging??

Want to know how many of your car were produced? What were standard equipment with your model? Restoration topics

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:48 pm
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: google search
I picked up this car for a steal, and noticed some unusual badging. The past owner could not tell me any thing about it. I went to see a friend that works at a GM dealership and we ran a GM Vehicle report and it came back with
BARS order type:: 10- P.E.P./SPL Event
The Z is black but the 28 is Gold on rear and gold and black striped on fenders.
One guy has said this is what they called a piliot car, which was used for test drives for Magazine article writers, new year car shows and other things like that. Does anyone know where I would find information on this? The car has had 2 owners and is in great shape, with 94K on it. I picked it up for $3500. and the top was just replaced. It has a intake leak and tires were bald, but thats easy. Can anyone help....??

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:43 am
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: I am the Administrator :-)
Could you please post pics for us to see?

Also, please add in your location to your profile, thanks :)
1992 Camaro Z28. Blue/silver, Custom Blue/Silver Leather seats, Rebuilt Engine, Cammed, Headers, TT ][ Rims ...
NEW http://WWW.CAMAROSOURCE.CA
Over 3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Photo Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, 3,000+ Factory Options, Forums, Decoders, Reviews, Classifieds...
3,500+ Camaro Information Database

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:42 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
I do know that the SPL EVENT is short for Special Event
Mine is listed the same way but I know 100% that my car wasn't used for anything because I am the only owner of the car and it is basically a stripper model with no options..
My friend has a Z06 Corvette that is also listed the same way..

Having friends that work at GM Dealers I also know 100% that the SPL EVENT isn't exclusive to just being a Gm corporate use type of option either..
Dealers could use it also for things like Grand openings, Sales events, dealer Anniversary parties , local events like car shows, parades, ect, ect..

I also think you got more than one thing going on regarding the emblems too..
Unless the Z28 Emblems were actually molded with 2 different colors then my bet is someone just slapped on one of the easily available after market emblem over lay stickers on it..
Various online stores sell them including ebay..

Which also leads me to believe the same thing is going on with your Fender stripes..
The fender Stripes are actually called "Hashmarks"
And originate from the 1963 Grand Sport Corvette Race cars that were used in the 60's only at Le Mans and ect..
The reason for the Hasmarks was since some race cars even if they were a different team or car make/model could be the same color and sometimes the numbers weren't visible from the pit while the cars were racing so the teams added unique stripes to the race cars so that they could tell who was who on the track easier..
It also helped when some race teams might have had more than one race car on the track at the same time...

Which is where the idea for the color scheme came from for the 1996 Grand Sport Corvette Blue body, Single large white center stripe and 2 red hashmarks on the drivers side fender only..

So knowing that
I don't believe GM would have been stupid enough to place fender stripes on both sides of a car for display at a car show or anything else..

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:30 pm
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: google search
Thanks for the info, I know with Lowes motor speedway only 5 miles to the south of me here in North Carolina, and Chevy used to sponsor lots of Busch Races in the mid to late 90'S. One thing I heard was this car being a covertable was used to haul drivers around the track at driver introductions before races?? Who knows, I will continue to look for answers and I will try to post some picts of the badges when the weather breaks and we get some clear days. Thanks again for the information.--grant

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:07 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
Yeh that theory could be right
Your best bet might be car fax and tracking down the original dealer that sold the car..
I believe car fax would also state if it was purchased through auction also..
But as far as Gm records they dont keep any but the original dealer should be able to tell you more..
Plus you will know if the car is actually originally from your area..

Return to History / Restoration / Decoding