• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

1986 Camaro LG4 305 Manual Hardtop

Want to know how many of your car were produced? What were standard equipment with your model? Restoration topics

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:10 pm
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Internet
Yeah I bought this camaro about 3 years back and the guy I bought from didn't have much info for me on vehicle. Im trying to find out if this is an actual Iroc Z or not. Now the center console doesn't have the paper with all the codes inside it. All I know is that this is a 1986 LG4 305 engine,W/Manual 5 speed.Made in Van Nuys California which is strange finding in WI. Hard top,Foglights,Gridstyle taillights,IrocZ rims,Black Interior. The seats look to be black but has heavy fading so they almost look dark blue hard to tell. The dash badge says Iroc Z not that this means anything because you can swap out Z28 decals for iroc Z28 even wheels on almost any of these cars but my main question is how do you really know if it is a iroc or Z or Base coupe.

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:35 am
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Through an internet search.
If the sticker isn't in the center console, check the rear storage compartment (the one that is in the left side). That is where mine is, and where yours maybe as well. If it's there take the codes, and run them through. I can't remember of the top of my head the code for the IROC package, but if you can decode the codes you'll find out for sure.
1991 RS Camaro with a fresh 355 ci Small Block with several mods.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:44 pm
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
Sounds like an IROC. You can look for little things that could tell if the car started life as a lesser model. Look to see if there is a Wonderbar present (mounted to frame rails, just ahead of front sway bar). Also check out how the fog light wiring is installed, if added, it may have been spliced in under the dash. An IROC also had a little support rod that went from the right hood hinge to the firewall, pretty sure the base cars didn't have that. Also look in the door jamb for the tire info sticker, only an IROC got the 245/50/16 tire.
Image Image

'86 IROC-Z 350tpi with some stuff, T56 six speed
'85 IROC-Z 305tpi, rare silver, project
'84 Z-28... the spare parts project

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:04 pm
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: saw it on google
You can also check under the seats I found my rpo codes there in my ta
88 camaro iroc z TBI 350-auto
85 trans am- parts car 350-auto
85 trans am- 355 sbc, wc t5...damn near everything new...
97 k2500 350 vortec 5 speed

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:35 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Surfing
Check your paint. If you can prove it's original, that would provide good evidence. The Z28's were 2-tone while the IrocZ's lower body effects were the same colour as the rest of the car.
Have you looked for the build sheet? It's a shot in the dark as some rides didn't leave the factory with one, or it's hard to find, or it's worn out. But have a look. Common places are under the seats in the seat springs, under the carpet around the front or rear footwells, behind door panels, etc.
The magical RPO you'd want for an '86 to be an IrocZ is B4Z.
1989 Iroc-Z, 305 TPI, 5 spd, 3.08 diff My Car Domain Website

Return to History / Restoration / Decoding