• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

3rd Gen Convertibles

Sponsor : "Perfect Auto Finish" Renowned Professional Detailer (Gary Kouba) is now onboard to answer your Detailing / Car Care questions / Concerns / Comments. Having worked with Celebrities such as Oprah, Michael Jordan, Presidents of companies and collector car owners... He's the guy to ask. :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:20 am
Minimum of 60 Posts
Minimum of 60 Posts
Who owns one? i have seen very few in this area of connecticut and i absolutely love them! only problem is that GM doesn't make the motors for the tops anymore so if it breaks you're out of luck. anyone know which models have the convertible top and how much do they normally go for?
~Two-Bit~

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:25 am
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: I am the Administrator :-)
Not entirely sure what you are asking. You would like to know which models had convertibles? (all 3rd gen years? or a particular year?) Or you want the motor for the convertible top?
1992 Camaro Z28. Blue/silver, Custom Blue/Silver Leather seats, Rebuilt Engine, Cammed, Headers, TT ][ Rims ...
NEW http://WWW.CAMAROSOURCE.CA
Over 3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Photo Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, 3,000+ Factory Options, Forums, Decoders, Reviews, Classifieds...
3,500+ Camaro Information Database

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:05 am
Minimum of 200 Posts
Minimum of 200 Posts
I believe the convertible came back in '87. When i was looking for a Camaro over the last few years, the convertible was usualy a couple thousand more up to about 6 or 7 thousand more (Canadian $, that is).

Someday i'd like to get a triple black '92 Z28 convertible, they look really good. 8)
82 Z28 purchased for restoration and fun with some custom looks and lots of HP/Torq. Long time-frame project.
Rough plans are 383 stroker with 400+ HP. Advice and tips are always welcome!

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:05 pm
Minimum of 60 Posts
Minimum of 60 Posts
no no no i meant which 3rd gen years had the best convertibles and what kind were they (z28 iroc etcc)..also are they easy to keep maintained or are the tops notorious for ripping and malfunctioning.
~Two-Bit~

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:50 pm
Minimum of 200 Posts
Minimum of 200 Posts
Well i know IROC had a convertible option, cause i looked at one once that was for sale. Not sure what other models during the IROC years. Z28 in '91 and '92 cause i've seen a few around and they look really good.

I would think that the motor used for the top would be the same for all models until the style change, at least. Don't know about malfunctioning etc, never owned, just looked. I think if you take care of the top you shouldn't have much problem with it ripping. Of course if someone sticks a knife into it, that can be a problem, as for wear and tear though, take care of it and it should last quite a while. Probably need replacing eventually, after all it's a part on teh vehicle and most parts wear out.

Hope my babbling and thinking aloud helps a bit. good luck.
82 Z28 purchased for restoration and fun with some custom looks and lots of HP/Torq. Long time-frame project.
Rough plans are 383 stroker with 400+ HP. Advice and tips are always welcome!

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:58 pm
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
You could get a Base Convertible, LT Convertible, IROC-Z Convertible and Z28 Convertible.
1992 Camaro Z28. Blue/silver, Custom Blue/Silver Leather seats, Rebuilt Engine, Cammed, Headers, TT ][ Rims ...
Over 3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Photo Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, 3,000+ Factory Options, Forums, Decoders, Reviews, Classifieds...

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:59 pm
hey im new to this site im from the vifbody.ca site and id just liek to say that ihave an 88 convertable and its been a 15 year old top in mint condition still and has not leaked its got 165 xxx on it and i drive it all year round. there was only 1 previous owner and he was a GM dealer in vancouver. mine doesnt have a motor its manual but theres the switch int he middle where the window switch is to pull the latch up so i can fold it down i have the rag stuff and its damn expensive to get a new one
88 camaro convertable polished 91 rims

vifbody.ca

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:13 am
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
eltonz wrote:
hey im new to this site im from the vifbody.ca site and id just liek to say that ihave an 88 convertable and its been a 15 year old top in mint condition still and has not leaked its got 165 xxx on it and i drive it all year round. there was only 1 previous owner and he was a GM dealer in vancouver. mine doesnt have a motor its manual but theres the switch int he middle where the window switch is to pull the latch up so i can fold it down i have the rag stuff and its damn expensive to get a new one

Welcome to the Camarosource.ca message board Eltonz,

I'm assuming you have the LO3 5.0 V8 305 TBI? Which transmission do you have? (stock)?

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:12 am
thanks

I have the 700r4 auto 4 speed with OD stock
88 camaro convertable polished 91 rims

vifbody.ca

Posted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:01 pm
Hi, I also have an 88 Iroc-Z Convertible! It is a manual top, I see no option in the service books for a power top in 1988. I am just finishing the restoration of the powertrain (Body is mint). Previous owner garaged the car for its life, no winters. Then some brainstorm to use a convertible for drag racing! Now have restored TPI motor back in, changed the rear from 3.73 Drum to 3.2? Disc. While I was at it I thought that a 350TPI was the better way to go. So now I have a 350 w/700R4 in an 88 IROC convertible.

Return to Appearance / Car Care