• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

Want to update layout: Need suggestions

This site is for you, what would you like to see? Have comments on the site? Tell us!

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:37 am
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: I am the Administrator :-)
Well it's come time to try and UPDATE the layout. I don't want to change the title image at all. However I want to make it EASIER to navigate around.

Survey's show that a person who clicks on a website will decide whether they want to continue within 8 SECONDS of clicking. I think the main problem is that there is TOO much on the page at once.

The problems I am having to deal with is the fact there is SO much information on the site that I want to make known the MOMENT they visit the site but without overwhelming them which is what is happening now.

We still are not hitting the number of hits I would like or would expect with a site this big. I've always thought it was the .CA but when I contacted the owner of CAMAROSOURCE.COM (pretending to be interested in purchasing), was shocked to discover it's only making approx 10,000 hits a YEAR. That's approx 27 hits a DAY. So that tells us .CA is NOT the reason. I truely believe that there is too much showing on the layout. I don't want to make it dull either. But I DO want to make it so new visitors want to click in and continue roaming around. We are averaging approx 900-1000 users a day on the msgboard and about 1,600 - 1,800+ visits a day to the website itself.

Considering the size of the site, many other sites can be getting 100's online at once.. We aren't and I want to change that. As a result I decided to post this message to try and get help from my other mod's since this is YOUR SITE TOO, to share your thoughts, comments and suggestions on updating the layout. I say UPDATE because I don't want to necessarily change the entire layout but I do want to try and update the way it's displayed.

So.. here is what I was planning.. http://www.camarosource.ca/new_site_new_idea_5.php
Changes:

1. Removed all the tabs at the top and categorized it, moving it to the left
2. Removed the 2 left hand middle sections and moved them to different parts of the layout.
3. Removed the individual years (course I kind of liked those but are a LOT of links!) and changed it for a ONE CLICK image. There I wanted to add a page that split the links into various images for ease of navigating. As it is now if you wanted to see the decoding, it's NOT EASY.. I want people to be able to click a link, see decoding links and be able to see what there want but again without too many links and without too many various pages....Not easy? yeah.. now you may see what I'm getting at.. ;-)
4. Note: $putInBodySlot is where the pages load into.. Just have not set it up.

So.. Let's hear all your suggestions.. The more the better. :-)
1992 Camaro Z28. Blue/silver, Custom Blue/Silver Leather seats, Rebuilt Engine, Cammed, Headers, TT ][ Rims ...
NEW http://WWW.CAMAROSOURCE.CA
Over 3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Photo Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, 3,000+ Factory Options, Forums, Decoders, Reviews, Classifieds...
3,500+ Camaro Information Database

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:44 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Cardomain
Paul a couple suggestion I have are:

1 maybe consider removing the page that first comes up when you go to http://www.camarosource.ca and just incorperate the "offering you" section into the main page as links.

2 create a site map with link to all of the various features of the database.

3 make the message board the focus and use the messageboard to push the database. People seem to like to ask specific question rather than taking the time to research.

1991 Camaro RS 3.1 V-6, Flowmaster exhuast, TPI air intake, Hypertech chip, 180* thermostat, accel super coil, white face glow gauges.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:00 am
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
Thanks! I like the part about removing the opening page as I actually have forgotten about it (ie. Optimized For .... and Internet Explorer 4+") 4+ ????

Proves how long it's been since I updated that page. I had bookmarked the MAIN page (the main layout just after the opening page) for years. I think it might be a good idea to actually remove the opening page and go straight to the main page. :thumbup: clw91rs
1992 Camaro Z28. Blue/silver, Custom Blue/Silver Leather seats, Rebuilt Engine, Cammed, Headers, TT ][ Rims ...
Over 3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Photo Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, 3,000+ Factory Options, Forums, Decoders, Reviews, Classifieds...

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:05 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
camarosource wrote:
Thanks! I like the part about removing the opening page as I actually have forgotten about it (ie. Optimized For .... and Internet Explorer 4+") 4+ ????

Proves how long it's been since I updated that page. I had bookmarked the MAIN page (the main layout just after the opening page) for years. I think it might be a good idea to actually remove the opening page and go straight to the main page. :thumbup: clw91rs

I have the message board bookmarked and just use the banner at the top of the page to get to the database. That's why I think it would be good to really feature the message board and use it to push the database.

1991 Camaro RS 3.1 V-6, Flowmaster exhuast, TPI air intake, Hypertech chip, 180* thermostat, accel super coil, white face glow gauges.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:58 am
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
Hmm.. Would about making the info on the site a Login feature?

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:01 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
camarosource wrote:

Might be worth a try. If it doesn't work you can always change it back.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:21 pm
Minimum of 20 Posts
Minimum of 20 Posts
I realize it's the general theme of the site, but i think a tone-down on all the colors and flashiness of the site would help make people want to return. I remember when I first came here I got the feeling I was trying to be sold something or had to pay to use the site. Sort of like a pop-up ad.

Also the fact that you now have to sign up to view the forums might also be a turn off.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:17 pm
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
well i personally liked the site when i first saw it on the search engines.....but the fact that the forums cannot be viewed by people who are not members might be a turnoff (RapidZ85 :wink: )...i suggest u make it so that they have to be members to read the extra stuff like the lounge.....not the actual help threads....and about the design..i personally liked the camarosource header thing that Zigma made..i dont see why you shouldnt put it up..then again, its ur site, and there for yours to decide....and also i think you should make it easier to sign up..i know i wanted to join for a long time but didnt know how or where to sign up :roll: until some how i figured it out...now that might be cause my IQ might be too low but im not sure :lol:

-V

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:28 pm
Minimum of 200 Posts
Minimum of 200 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: google
RapidZ85 wrote:
I realize it's the general theme of the site, but i think a tone-down on all the colors and flashiness of the site would help make people want to return. I remember when I first came here I got the feeling I was trying to be sold something or had to pay to use the site. Sort of like a pop-up ad.

I Agree, I think a cleaner, simpler layout will be more user friendly for those not familiar with our site.

Paul I've done numerous websites, if you need any help, let me know, I would be glad to help :wink:
1985 Z-28 - The New Project
1986 Z-28
Posi Rear / Edelbrock Performer Intake / Edelbrock Performer 600cfm Carb / IROC 16" Mags
Hooker Headers / Hooker Y-Pipe / Magnaflow Cat / Flowmaster American Thunder 3.00" Exhaust

Mike

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:49 pm
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Paul lodge
i personally always start out at http://www.camarosource.ca/forums never view the homepage unless i go back for RPO codes or something..
'74 454 .030 Over 4.250 Stroke 489, SRP Forged 0.030 Flat Tops, Crane Z Blower .632/.632 244/256 Cam, Weiand 871 Roots Blower, 2 x 800cfm Barry Grant Speed Demon Carb, Procomp 320cc Heads Race Package, CSR Electric Water Pump, TH400 FUll Manual Reverse Valve Body Sportsman Trans Brake 3000 Stall, 9" Rearend 31 Spline 3.70 Gears.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:52 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
camarosource wrote:

I like the looks of that layout you've created, but i think making people take the time to register so they can view infromation is going to make people not want to return
1986 Sport Coupe - 350, Bored .030, KB Flat Top Pistons, 10.5:1 Compression Ratio, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, L31 Vortec heads, Comp Cams 12-234-2 (for now)

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:19 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Google.ca
roughskinjrz wrote:
i personally always start out at http://www.camarosource.ca/forums never view the homepage unless i go back for RPO codes or something..

same here

-OSS
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/802958

Swift ViSSion; Camarosource.ca Visual Department

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:40 pm
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
Yeah, no I don't think making login required to view the database is good idea. The majority of people who come here other than the msgboard come here for the Camaro Yearly Information Database.

Let's say a Magazine comes on to see what someone recommended (it's happened before) and they have to login to see anything that makes us unique (The database), they won't create an account to see.. and we would definately lose our.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.. Keep them coming :)

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:09 am
Minimum of 60 Posts
Minimum of 60 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: google search
FWIW (as a newbie on this site), I never start at the forums because when I started using the site, I was looking for info on specific models...so I bookmarked the homepage and haven't changed it since.

Now that I'm registered, I look at the the recent posts section first and if there's nothing new, I'll look at the list of forums to see what I've missed.

I still use the specific model info a lot (I'm always watching what's being sold on e-bay and comparing options and claims)...and the brochures section

I like clw91rs suggestion about the site map...I use those frequently on sites I'm visiting when I'm looking for something specific.

Jerry

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:05 pm
Minimum of 80 Posts
Minimum of 80 Posts
The one thing I just realized about a few weeks ago is that the list of recent posts is actually longer then it appears. I know on my browser i need to highlight the first few posts then scroll down to see the others. If there is a way to make it so that u can see all the posts that would be better.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:15 pm
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
just recommended a few people from car domain to the site
the first page is kinda dumb
overall i really like the site just dont understand the purpose of the first page to much clicking
membership is free so it shouldnt be a problem

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:10 pm
** Administrator **
** Administrator **

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:12 pm
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
kennyglm wrote:
just recommended a few people from car domain to the site
the first page is kinda dumb
overall i really like the site just dont understand the purpose of the first page to much clicking
membership is free so it shouldnt be a problem

Yes I will be removing the opening page. We likely lose first time visitors as there is nothing to "WOW" them with.. ;-)

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:45 pm
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
hopefully a good idea time will tell

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:51 pm
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
i like the new web page its to the point,not busy easy to navigate

Next