• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

Oil Filters and Air Filters.. THE TRUTH.. WILL SHOCK YOU..!!

Questions and comments about various aftermarket parts and companies who sells these parts. You could also review sellers you've purchased from.

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:39 am
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
Donaldson Filtration Solutions makes air purification systems for factories suchs as dust, fume collectors ect.
Along with Commercial/Armed forces Aviation and Aerospace Air filters to name a few.
http://www.donaldson.com/en/

Unlike the cotton gauze type material filters like K&N, Holley, Air Hog ect..

Donaldson filters The Blackwingâ„¢ uses 100% synthetic filtration media called Synteq. The fibers are extremely uniform and very small, allowing the filter to flow more air and trap smaller particles than do ordinary cotton and oiled-cotton "performance" filters. The Blackwingâ„¢ also features an exclusive flow indicator that changes color when cleaning is required.

Then it has the same basic filter cleaner spray and applicator oil except the Oil is Sensor friendly.
Except for an LS-1 they cost $60.00 compared to a $45 K&N or Holley Power Shot.
If Holley had the Power Shot filter out at the time I purchased the Blackwing filter I would of went with the cheaper Holley Air filter except at that time this was my best and only option since I kept having problems with the K&N..
With the problems I was having with the K&N Oil on my Sensors which was due to the incoming air pushing the oil through the filter then being collected on my I.A.T and MAF Sensors and skewing my sensor readings.
So I went back to the Ac Delco Paper Filter except having a Air Intake system such as mine which is known as the SSRA Super Sucker Ram Air kit.

As you can see by the Picture my Air Intake is a little on the extreme Side :lol:
So what you are looking at is a 2 1/2 X 20 Inch Air Chute running down under the front of the nose of my car to pick up Air for intake system.. Which does suck up bugs, Road salt and all kinds of dirt :lol:
So I was replacing the paper Air filter about every Month or so that is how fast it get's dirty.
So Money wise I have no choice in regards to using a Reusable Air filter
And an Air filter good enough for a Billion dollar Stealth bomber has got to be good enough for my engine :lol:

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:07 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Surfing
I checked out their website and couldn't find the filter size I need. Doesn't mean they might not have it. Might not be on thier website or I just don't know my way around it. :lol:
Either way, would there be any advantage using Donaldson filter on a stock intake? Are they reusable? Or would it be hardly noticable performance wise and cheaper just to stick to stock paper?
1989 Iroc-Z, 305 TPI, 5 spd, 3.08 diff My Car Domain Website

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:54 am
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
No I don't believe you will get any performance out of any air filter whether it is paper, cotton, or synthetic in material.
Donaldson black wing filters are reusable and they change color to let you know when they are dirty and ready to be cleaned.
They do have an application chart on their site
But just out of curisousity Iroctopless I know what your air intake system looks like but where the heck does the filter go? :lol:

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:50 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
I gave up on K&N and just went back to paper. I didn't notice any difference in performance. Yeah you end up spending a little more, but compared to the price of gas, replacing the air filter is still cheap.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:15 am
* $151 - $200 *
* $151 - $200 *
ins0mnia24 wrote:
Air Intake system such as mine which is known as the SSRA Super Sucker Ram Air kit.

As you can see by the Picture my Air Intake is a little on the extreme Side :lol:
So what you are looking at is a 2 1/2 X 20 Inch Air Chute running down under the front of the nose of my car to pick up Air for intake system.. Which does suck up bugs, Road salt and all kinds of dirt :lol:
So I was replacing the paper Air filter about every Month or so that is how fast it get's dirty.

8O Yeah that intake scares me a little bit

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:39 pm
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: I am the Administrator :-)
Definately don't see that being any good here in BC with all the rain we get.. Our floods EASILY go 2-4 feet of water near lakes and rivers.. And near HWY 1 onramps near Willington Ave in Burnaby.. It would, I wouldf assume, have a likelyhood of SUCKING the water in the engine..
1992 Camaro Z28. Blue/silver, Custom Blue/Silver Leather seats, Rebuilt Engine, Cammed, Headers, TT ][ Rims ...
NEW http://WWW.CAMAROSOURCE.CA
Over 3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Photo Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, 3,000+ Factory Options, Forums, Decoders, Reviews, Classifieds...
3,500+ Camaro Information Database

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:16 pm
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Surfing
ins0mnia24 wrote:
But just out of curisousity Iroctopless I know what your air intake system looks like but where the heck does the filter go? :lol:

Sorry about the bad pic quality :oops: . Hopefully you can see the 2 purple circles. This is where the 2 air filters go. One under each corner.

The filters look like something like this . . .

The intake is split into a top half and a bottom half. With just a couple turns of a few fasteners the top half lifts up and the filters are right underneath. It would take about 30 seconds to change both. Pretty decent for a factory set-up. It grabs the cooler air out of the engine compartment and ahead of the radiator. :)
1989 Iroc-Z, 305 TPI, 5 spd, 3.08 diff My Car Domain Website

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:40 am
they didnt mention in the oil filter link the amount of efficency of each one.

but i can tell you that wix and puralator filter can filter 30microns particles 99.8% of the time and 20micron particles 99.2% of the time

just to give you some perspective...25 microns is about .001", the clearance on your bearings.

anything smaller than 25microns is not harmfull to your engine because it is not bigger than the oil film.

fram on the other hand will can filter 15microns only 15% of the time...thats terrible.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:52 pm
SLP bought their Blackwing performance filters line recently:

Check the Induction section under your car year here:
http://slponline.com

IrocTopless wrote:
I checked out their website and couldn't find the filter size I need. Doesn't mean they might not have it. Might not be on thier website or I just don't know my way around it. :lol:
Either way, would there be any advantage using Donaldson filter on a stock intake? Are they reusable? Or would it be hardly noticable performance wise and cheaper just to stick to stock paper?

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:14 pm
Minimum of 200 Posts
Minimum of 200 Posts
Been using K&N air filters and Mobil 1 oil filters for some time now. I actually found the oil filter link that Paul posted a few years back while researching oil filters and it suggested that Mobil 1 filters work well. So I started using them and never had a problem.

I've used Purolator PureONE filters as well.

Has anyone tried the K&N oil filters?
1981 Z28 [305, Richmond Super-T10 4-speed manual, hardtop]

1989 RS [350, TH700R/4, Holley Street Avenger 670, hardtop]

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:15 pm
Amsoil has a reuseable dry air filter for our cars, that's what I use.

http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

Previous

Return to Aftermarket Product / Company / Seller Reviews