• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

Does Anyone Else Here Have Problems With Advance Auto Parts?

Questions and comments about various aftermarket parts and companies who sells these parts. You could also review sellers you've purchased from.

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Through an internet search.
I not criticizing the people of this company, for starters. I am criticizing their parts, however. The past few parts I have bought from them have all went bad. I know every know and then you get a bad part, and I can accept that, but when just about every part you buy goes bad it makes you a little bit leary of the place. I just figured I would see if anyone else has had this problem. What prompted this question of quality is one of their brake calipers going bad after only a year and a half. (That's not the only part to go bad niether, to many to list). So, I'm going 15-20 miles out of my way to get my important parts from the closest O'Reily. I just figured I'd see if anyone else has had this problem.
1991 RS Camaro with a fresh 355 ci Small Block with several mods.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:11 pm
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
Around 10 years ago, I worked at a shop that got a lot of parts from advance. There is always the occasional bad part no matter where it comes from, even the dealer. But, there was one week that we had several come-backs due to faulty parts from advance. A couple weeks later, the one week old coil from advance that I put in my impala, died while I was out in the middle of nowhere. I was pretty upset (remember this was before most people had cell phones) and I stopped getting parts from them until about a year ago.

BTW, I only replaced the coil as preventative maintenance, so I put the old coil back in the car. It still works fine to this day :roll:
Image Image

'86 IROC-Z 350tpi with some stuff, T56 six speed
'85 IROC-Z 305tpi, rare silver, project
'84 Z-28... the spare parts project

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:40 pm
Minimum of 600 Posts
Minimum of 600 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: www.google.com
well so far i havent had any bad parts from advanced auto but ive had a few bad parts from auto zone tho 8)
my 85 IROC-Z-350 4 bolt main,700r tranny,B&M shift kit,edelbrock performer intake,holley carb,headman headers,magnaflow exhaust,charcoal/black interior,new paint and more this year

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:30 am
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: google
almost everything i get from advanced i halfto get at least 2 brand new chrome alternator i had to get 5 of them one of them was even cracked

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:24 am
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
Yeh No offence to any one that may shop at Advance auto or Autozone..

But I laugh every time I walk around in those stores with all of the Generic part names like Duetchland ect, ect..
It reminds me of a Dollar store for car parts :lol:

Besides the parts looking crappy, their knowledge sucks, they have the worst customer service I have ever incountered in a store..
I used to only go to them to purchase Motor oil, Oil filter and misc car care stuff
But they never ever have their cash register checkout open so I have to wait in the same line as the people searching for parts ect..
while I have to listen to their speech every time a person walks up..
If a car has A/c or not it doesnt make a difference in what the spark plugs would be ..
Same with headlights and light bulbs auto parts people :lol:

I wouldn't use their parts on my car if they were given to me for free..

I know most people can't really afford it, but I continue to stick with most Ac Delco replacement parts I am fortunate to have a GM dealer in my area that will beat anyones prices for parts..
And never had a problem with my Delco parts..
:D
I may pay a price slightly higher than the auto chains but I am still getting a better quality part that has a factory fit IMO..

Only part you will ever hear me recommend to 4th gen owners are the Life time warranty window motors at Advance or Autozone

In some cases you do get what you pay for 8)

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:51 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Surfing
Perfect topic for the Aftermarket Product / Company / Seller Reviews section. :wink:
1989 Iroc-Z, 305 TPI, 5 spd, 3.08 diff My Car Domain Website

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:31 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Online search
I have never had a problem with any of the parts. Other than them being cheap looking seconds, as mentioned above. My problem with them has always the staffs lack of knowledge about cars and getting the wrong parts. It gets old walking into an automotive place that only has teenagers working, that don't know anything more about how a car or it's parts work, other than what a stupid computer tells them. Then they don't have the simplest parts that you need. "I'll have to order it and it will be here tomorrow". That's the line I always get. My question is, if it only takes till the next day to get here, why don't you keep one in stock? Then if you do get the part, it's the wrong one. Then I have to make another trip. :evil: How does the size of the motor effect the size of the fuse for the window motors? :? Was that an exaggeration? I'm sorry!!
Simpleman'Z 28
Moroso CAI,Relocated AIT,TB bypass,Custom pcm tune,OE Zo6 Wheels,Falken FK452 tires, Hooker Competition cat-back exhaust, more mods coming.

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:11 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
simpleman wrote:
How does the size of the motor effect the size of the fuse for the window motors? :? Was that an exaggeration? I'm sorry!!

sounds like Advance and Autozone to me :lol:

On a side note I have had that problem with a well known LS specialized online store also :lol:
which I no longer will deal with them anymore even though they have free shipping..

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:03 pm
Minimum of 200 Posts
Minimum of 200 Posts
Never really had a problem with Advance, but Napa Auto parts on the other hand. I worked for them, and bought their parts. And they are complete crap.

Oh, and the questions they ask you(i.e. If a car has A/c or not it doesnt make a difference in what the spark plugs.). They ask those questions because the computer asks them. I had to ask those questions all the time at NAPA.

I appiled for a job at autozone, and they cared more about how you "look/dress" more so than your knowledge about cars.

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:18 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Yeah, I'm definately not bashing the employees, but I am bashing the parts. I mean the people for the most are fairly for the knowledgeable, but the parts suck!! Perhaps the most knowledgeable person that was at my local advance isn't at our local store any more. When he was at the store that was who I would deal with because he knew more that the rest of them, and he had a sick '85 or '86 SS Monte Carlo w/ a wicked 383 under the hood!!

BTW, I have just discovered another part from them going bad this week as well, the throttle position sensor is now going bad, and it has been in there about 2 years. I know that it isn't brand knew, but it should have lasted longer than this in theory.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:45 pm
Minimum of 60 Posts
Minimum of 60 Posts
ok. lets get right to it. what did u expect? advance, autozone, ect. all the big chain stores get their parts from basically the same 2 suppliers, even the stuff with their name on it.they are cheap low quality parts mostly made in mexico or overseas. mass production by substandard workers in substandard factories.this is notjhing new. its always been that way. u get what u pay for. like the rotors for example. what u get from any of them are rotors that are already at minimun thickness. thats why they dont last. as soon as they wear, they are below minumum tolerance.thats why noone will turn rotors anymore. and asfar as the dumb questions they ask, although i see your point, you have to understand that the factory lists parts by package. even though airconditioning may have nothing to do with your part, that is how its listed in the computer. the dealer asks the same questions.which brings me to my final comment. chain stores pay minimum wage and will hire just about anyone.automotive knowledge is not a requirement. ever call and get some woman answering the phone and try to ask her about something that may not be a direct listing in her computor? enough said. bottom line. u get what u pay for. and if you need advice from the store employees,, u'd better put your tools away and take it to someone else to fix
79 Z28 650hp 5 speed

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:55 am
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
the only thing i like about advance auto parts is they can have something that afternoon which is really nice. Autozone usually gives me good parts except for one time gave me slightly over sized u joints and i pressed them in half way and it ruined a $700 alumn. driveshaft. I always know what i want and try to have patience. BUT if it's a critical part and i need quality i go to NAPA. only they close very early. I love NAPA parts, best parts next to GM IMO.
[img]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc294/ryanwitski/91greenRS_sig.jpg[/img]

http://www.coreuth.blogspot.com (my real life, ha ha)

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:03 pm
Minimum of 60 Posts
Minimum of 60 Posts
yeah, napa is definitely one of the better of the chain stores. but you're right, they keep bankers hours. alot of their parts come from the same suppliers as the factory. costs a bit more, but its better quality. i buy parts all the time from autozone and advance for my other cars. but never performance parts.and i always remember that the guy behind the counter was delivering pizza's last week. thats not a knock against pizza delivery guys, its just that i dont want automotive advice from the pizza guy.
79 Z28 650hp 5 speed

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:05 pm
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
OEM replacement = NAPA ,
Performance parts = Summit Racing
[img]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc294/ryanwitski/91greenRS_sig.jpg[/img]

http://www.coreuth.blogspot.com (my real life, ha ha)

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:45 pm
Minimum of 600 Posts
Minimum of 600 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: your mom
I went to the nearest NAPA, and they were closed down, and the next nearest didn't have anything. AutoZone shut down, and O'Reilly isn't even around my house. I go to Advanced because I've always had a good experience with them. Some guy got me the wrong bulbs for my turn signals, so when the headlights were on, they wouldn't blink. Which didn't bother me until I noticed it. Without a receipt or anything, a store 150 miles away just gave me the right ones after I mentioned I had the wrong ones, at no charge.

I don't really buy much from there besides OEM parts; everything else I try to do myself. So I don't really think of it as "dollar store stuff", aside from the plastic spinning rims and crap. Advanced is great for replacement parts though, and stuff for DIY.

It's not a performance parts place, so I can't really criticize it.
1991 Camaro RS (Coupe, 3.1L V6, 700R4 auto)
1988 Camaro RS (T-tops, 5.0L V8, 5-speed)
1996 Nissan Altima (2.4L, 5-speed, 33+ MPG)
1987 Jeep Wrangler (4.0L, 5-speed, fully waterproofed interior, 4" lift, 33x12.5R15 Pro Comps)

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:04 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Yeah, I know they aren't a performance parts store. What I'm getting at is their replacement parts are crap. When I got my '91 going on 3 years ago, I had to replace my throttle position sensor. No big deal, go to advance and pick one up for $15-$20, and be done. Well, I fixing to have to get another one because it's going bad again. The AC-Delco part that was took off lasted 14 years and advance's replacement only lasted 2.75 years. So that's why I'm so ticked about all of this.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:34 pm
Minimum of 600 Posts
Minimum of 600 Posts
:?:

They usually carry the AC Delco parts at the one I go to, at least for most stuff. I usually get the stock replacement parts. Hm..
1987 Jeep Wrangler (4.0L, 5-speed, fully waterproofed interior, 4" lift, 33x12.5R15 Pro Comps)

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:56 pm
Minimum of 60 Posts
Minimum of 60 Posts
now thats true automotive wisdom ryan91, when i die, i want to spend eternity in the stockroom of summit racing.i practially live in the place. they even send me christmas cards and the occasional hat or shirt every now and then. my wife says its because i spend way too much money there way to often. i'll show her. my winter project this year is a 55 olds 88//. excellent condition. she wanted it for a cruiser car, but i'm thinking how cool it would look tubbed and blown. wanna take bets on which one of us wins?
79 Z28 650hp 5 speed

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:02 am
Minimum of 600 Posts
Minimum of 600 Posts
bobf wrote:
wanna take bets on which one of us wins?

The wife. If not, then please let me know where you met her. I didn't think it was possible for men to win fights :lol:

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:52 am
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Online search
Bob, go ahead and build the car for your wife. No since in starting a battle that you can't win. If you do win, it will be used against you in a future battle. :wink: :lol:
Simpleman'Z 28
Moroso CAI,Relocated AIT,TB bypass,Custom pcm tune,OE Zo6 Wheels,Falken FK452 tires, Hooker Competition cat-back exhaust, more mods coming.

Next

Return to Aftermarket Product / Company / Seller Reviews