• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

Red hot Catylitic Converter?

Post questions and answers about various Intake Systems, Ram Air, Superchargers, Turbo, exhaust systems, headers...

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 am
I have a 1998 Camaro Base V6. I have 2 codes low voltage maf and low voltage TPS. I cleaned both and was running car to get it warmed up. Then I noticed the drivers side manifold started getting red hot. I shut car off ran to check Cat and it was red hot too. Im guessing I have a bad Cat. I have a couple questions.

1.) Will a bad Cat cause the 2 codes I mentioned?

2.) Can I cut out Cat and put in a straight pipe and would it need to be reprogrammed? ( in Ohio)

Thanks

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
The Maf shares that same harness as the O2 Sensor's so it is not out of the ordinary that a problem with one or the other will mess up the readings of the other..
What did you clean the Maf with? Maf or Contact cleaner?? I hope..

The only way to get away with gutting the cat in your car without actually reprogramming the cars pcm is to buy a rear o2 Simulator it plugs in in place of the o2 sensor and sends a dummy signal to the cars Pcm making the cars Pcm think that the rear O2 Sensor is still operating properly.. They are like 50 bucks..
The cars Pcm does not use the rear O2 Sensor reading to actually run the car and adjust Air/fuel ratios it is just there to tell if the Cat is working it will not affect how the engine runs it will just set off the SES light to tell you the cat or rear o2 is not working
The cars Pcm only use's the front 2 O2 Sensor readings for actually running the engine..

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:14 pm
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I used Maf cleaner. Someone told me u can make a dummy O2 sensor. Im goin to look into that.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:07 pm
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Camaro forums
Well contimplated removing the Cat on my 97 Z28. Cat Needs replaced. Was going to put a High flow on it. But open to THIS GUTTING IT. if I did this and this dummy 02. Will it still pass inspection in Texas. I mean NOT THROW THAT CODE ?

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:18 pm
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
Jeff Dodson wrote:
Well contimplated removing the Cat on my 97 Z28. Cat Needs replaced. Was going to put a High flow on it. But open to THIS GUTTING IT. if I did this and this dummy 02. Will it still pass inspection in Texas. I mean NOT THROW THAT CODE ?

I'm not sure you can buy the O2 simulators anymore? But it would work if all they do is check for codes.

But on the other hand, a stock cat can be rather valuable if sold to a recycle outfit. Could pay for half of a new high flow cat, and be legal too.
Image Image

'86 IROC-Z 350tpi with some stuff, T56 six speed
'85 IROC-Z 305tpi, rare silver, project
'84 Z-28... the spare parts project

Return to Intake / Exhaust