Camarosource Forum

 
  • Home
  • Register
  • Advertise
  • Members
  • New Posts
  • Contact Us
  • Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.
 
Username

Password

Log me on automatically

Turns over but wont start?

Post questions and answers about your engine problems.. What is this ticking sound I hear while starting? Engine not turning over? Problems with your battery... alternator? Find out here.

Moderator: Moderators

 
Post
mrekimf
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:54 pm
Minimum of 20 Posts
Minimum of 20 Posts
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 pm
Posts: 33
Ok here's the deal,
95 3.8L auto.
I have had this car about 3 years, what is has been doing ever since I got it is this;
About 2-3 times a month it would turn over but not start, so I would pull the key out and back in several times and eventually it would start. So I figured it was the little metal security magnet on the key(still never replaced the key). Then the past 6-8 months the car would die while driving, but only for a few seconds, and would come back on before I would need to turn the key, so I continued to keep driving, since I dont live far from work I never attempted to fix it, cause it was tolerable.
So today it all came to a halt! While on my way home from work it died for good. It will turn over but not start. I thought maybe the fuel pump, since I didnt hear it cycle on when I turned the key on? So I pushed the needle valve on the fuel rail and there was pressure and fuel coming out. So does that mean the pump is working since theres pressure? Also once in a while, while attempting to start it, it acted like it was going to start, but never did.
Thats about all the info I believe I can give.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly apprieciated!
 

Post
ins0mnia24
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:18 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
User avatar
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 8:13 am
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4578
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
Yeh read these 2 posts...
And if you have any questions after that just ask, But all of the information you need is right in those 2 post's...
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=18457
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18257&start=0
Image
 

Post
mrekimf
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:16 pm
Minimum of 20 Posts
Minimum of 20 Posts
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 pm
Posts: 33
ins0mnia24 wrote:
Yeh read these 2 posts...
And if you have any questions after that just ask, But all of the information you need is right in those 2 post's...
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=18457
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18257&start=0


Ok, here comes the questions!
From the 1st topic, his car is 91, mine 95. I dont have those relays where he said his were(driversside firewall), and I would be pretty sure its not battery, ignition switch, because the engine turns over with no problem. Also my security lite does not stay on. I would attempt the VATS thing but there is nothing there saying what or where it is? Unless you want me to replace or check the ignition modual?
OK, 2nd topic; Seems like it was a faulty fuel pump. I cannot check fuel pressure if the car wont start. How can I check if the fuel pump is even working? Do I have someone turn the key while I listen for the humming noise near the fuel tank? Is that the only way to check?
As for the dash lites, the only ones on are "check engine", and "low oil". I have taken the car in for the "check engine", and he connected a computer or scanner and it didnt show anything? And the "low oil" light goes off when you turn the car off and then back on.

I hope this helps you help me?
 

Post
ins0mnia24
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:58 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
User avatar
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 8:13 am
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4578
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
91's basically have the same ignition system as 93-02's except all of the V6's have 3 Coils, & 98-02 V-8's 8 coils and both have No dist..
The VAT's system is basically the same system and works the same even though some of the parts might be different or in different locations..
The VAT's is the security feature that allows the fuel pump to be turned on to run the car...
It is a copper strip in the ignition key cylinder, It reads a specific resistance that matches the resistor chip on your key..
You should hear the pump every time you turn the key to on.. If you do not hear it then the pump is not turning on...

If you have a spare key it would be good to try that also...

No security light on and if you are not hearing the fuel pump kick on then I would check the fuel pump relay in your engine compartment...
You can swap out the fan relay to the fuel pump relay to check if you have a bad relay...

Page 2 of the second link I did give info on how to check the fuel rail if the pump is working, not working or not working as it should be ect....
Image
 

Post
mrekimf
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:07 pm
Minimum of 20 Posts
Minimum of 20 Posts
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 pm
Posts: 33
ins0mnia24 wrote:
91's basically have the same ignition system as 93-02's except all of the V6's have 3 Coils, & 98-02 V-8's 8 coils and both have No dist..
The VAT's system is basically the same system and works the same even though some of the parts might be different or in different locations..
The VAT's is the security feature that allows the fuel pump to be turned on to run the car...
It is a copper strip in the ignition key cylinder, It reads a specific resistance that matches the resistor chip on your key..
You should hear the pump every time you turn the key to on.. If you do not hear it then the pump is not turning on...

If you have a spare key it would be good to try that also...

No security light on and if you are not hearing the fuel pump kick on then I would check the fuel pump relay in your engine compartment...
You can swap out the fan relay to the fuel pump relay to check if you have a bad relay...

Page 2 of the second link I did give info on how to check the fuel rail if the pump is working, not working or not working as it should be ect....


Where do I find the fuel pump and the fan relays? I looked in the fuse box under the hood on drivers side, nothing there labled for those?
Also I will recheck your page 2 of the second link. Thanks!
 

Post
ins0mnia24
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
User avatar
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 8:13 am
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4578
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
The fuel pump, fan relays and injector fuses are located in the engine bay..
Check the cover for it, There should be a label on there showing what is what in there...

You can also use the fan relay and swap it into the starter relay to check it too..
Image
 

Post
mrekimf
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:58 am
Minimum of 20 Posts
Minimum of 20 Posts
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 pm
Posts: 33
ins0mnia24 wrote:
The fuel pump, fan relays and injector fuses are located in the engine bay..
Check the cover for it, There should be a label on there showing what is what in there...

You can also use the fan relay and swap it into the starter relay to check it too..

There is no Fuel Pump relay in the fuse box under the hood. There are fuel injector relays, 3 I believe. I wouldnt need to check the the starter relay because the starter is working.
I will google the fuel pump relay.
 

Post
mrekimf
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:55 am
Minimum of 20 Posts
Minimum of 20 Posts
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 pm
Posts: 33
mrekimf wrote:
ins0mnia24 wrote:
The fuel pump, fan relays and injector fuses are located in the engine bay..
Check the cover for it, There should be a label on there showing what is what in there...

You can also use the fan relay and swap it into the starter relay to check it too..

There is no Fuel Pump relay in the fuse box under the hood. There are fuel injector relays, 3 I believe. I wouldnt need to check the the starter relay because the starter is working.
I will google the fuel pump relay.


OK,
After some more research on google, I have found the fuel pump relay driverside kick panel! I have also jumped the red and white terminal to test to see if pump kicks on? It did not with key on or off! That relay is totally different from all other replays so I cant replace it with another relay off the car!
Also there must not be any fuses for the pump, I checked the fusebox under the hood drivers side(nothing there for fuel pump), also checked fusebox driverside, side of dash in the door jam area(only accessable when door is open), no pump fuse there either! But reguardless I pulled and checked every fuse anyway! all fuses are good.
I also still didnt see in topic 2, page 2 of how to check fuel pressure if car isnt starting?(sorry)
So I am very close to replacing the fuel pump, except I am still not 100% sure its that. I do not know where to check the so called VATS system, to see if that is the problem also.
I still do not hear the pump prime up, when I turn the key, I even hit the tank with a hammer to see if it would do anything, and nothing!
 

Post
mrekimf
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:08 am
Minimum of 20 Posts
Minimum of 20 Posts
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 pm
Posts: 33
OK,
After just getting off the phone with local auto parts store and finding out a new fuel pump is almost $200.00, I really need to make sure its the Fuel pump before I spend that much money and tell the kids no dinner this week! LOL
Any more help would be greatly appriciated!!!
 

Post
ins0mnia24
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:35 am
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
User avatar
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 8:13 am
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4578
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
Since you found the fuel pump relay I would check to make sure that it is getting power at that location..
Then I would check for the same thing underneath the car on the rear drivers side, should be above the fuel filter, near the rear axle, ect..
You will see a harness plug there with 2 plugs..
1 of them is for your ABS the other is the Fuel Pump... It will be easily obvious which goes to which..
Then I would check it there while some one turns the key.. Black is ground, Then one wire will be for the fuel gauge, the other will be to power the pump...

You want to check it immediately after the key is turned on...

If all is good at the relay and at the harness plug on the back ... Then you know it is the fuel pump that is not working..
The only other way to be positive is dropping the tank and checking it directly at the pump..

I am doubting it would have anything to do with the Vats because the starter would not be engaging, a long with the pump, Usually anyways..
Because that is what supplies power to the starter relay too...
Image
 

Post
mrekimf
Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:25 pm
Minimum of 20 Posts
Minimum of 20 Posts
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 pm
Posts: 33
OK, now I need to know what is in my tank, of my 95 3.8L?
I have been looking on Ebay, because I cant afford the local one here. I have emailed and checked with people who have used these cheaper pumps and all have good to say. But my question is do I get just the pump, or the one that comes in some type of housing or hanger?
Since I dont know how to post pics I will give the link to each.
Pump alone=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Camaro-1993-1994-1995-1996-255LPH-fuel-pump-/300363335729?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45ef0cc831
In a housing=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Airtex-E3908-Electric-Fuel-Pump-/170485853150?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ACamaro%7CYear%3A1995&hash=item27b1bfabde
 

Post
ins0mnia24
Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:53 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
User avatar
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 8:13 am
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4578
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
The first one is an inline fuel pump, that usually is used in between the tank and and engine..
I have heard of people using those and bypassing the factory fuel pump that died leaving it in the fuel tank and it working but do not know the exact details, But the one used was a Walboro inline pump , And dont know which one..

The second link will not work and is not the same as the GM OEM pump..
Image
 

Post
mrekimf
Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:59 pm
Minimum of 20 Posts
Minimum of 20 Posts
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 pm
Posts: 33
ins0mnia24 wrote:
The first one is an inline fuel pump, that usually is used in between the tank and and engine..
I have heard of people using those and bypassing the factory fuel pump that died leaving it in the fuel tank and it working but do not know the exact details, But the one used was a Walboro inline pump , And dont know which one..

The second link will not work and is not the same as the GM OEM pump..


Can you get me a pic of what I need looks like? Please
I know the second link isnt OEM, but isnt it a replacement? Or will it not work at all?
 

Post
mrekimf
Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:25 pm
Minimum of 20 Posts
Minimum of 20 Posts
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 pm
Posts: 33
ins0mnia24 wrote:
The first one is an inline fuel pump, that usually is used in between the tank and and engine..
I have heard of people using those and bypassing the factory fuel pump that died leaving it in the fuel tank and it working but do not know the exact details, But the one used was a Walboro inline pump , And dont know which one..

The second link will not work and is not the same as the GM OEM pump..


I hate to say this, BUT I think you might be mistaken about the 2 links. If you do a google search for "95 camaro fuel filter" it comes back to those two types in the links from ebay. Also the pump alone from ebay comes with the fuel filter sock, that would go in the tank not an inline type, and it also comes with the o'ring for the fuel tank.
Does anyone know what the fuel pump looks like on a 95 3.8L?
 

Post
ins0mnia24
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:23 am
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
User avatar
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 8:13 am
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4578
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
Just because it comes up on Google advertising spam does not mean it is accurate, It is just a search engine..
Not an auto parts data base..

The 1st one will not work or at least not to the point I would tell any one to buy and try it just by looking at ebay page..

The 2nd might work

96 fuel pump.. Looks like your 2nd link...
Image

Why your pump looks different to me, This is a 98-02 Fuel pump...
Image
Image
 

Post
mrekimf
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:59 pm
Minimum of 20 Posts
Minimum of 20 Posts
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 pm
Posts: 33
ok,
I bought the one in the second link from above, it was a perfect match! Runs great, its been in for about 2 weeks and no problems. The pics were not from a google search, they were from the Airteck manufactor's website, just to let you know "ins0mnia24".
Just wanted to say thank you very much "ins0mnia24" for all your help! :hello1: :headbang: :wav:
 

Post
ins0mnia24
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:40 am
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
User avatar
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 8:13 am
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4578
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
Yeh No problem man at least you got it fixed..
Image
 


 

Return to Engine / Fuel / Starting / Charging System

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron