• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

ETHANOL AND WHAT IT MEANS TO YOU!

Post questions and answers about your engine problems.. What is this ticking sound I hear while starting? Engine not turning over? Problems with your battery... alternator? Find out here.

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:14 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Maby you have done some reserch on this but here is a reminder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Problem With Ethanol
http://www2.highlandstoday.com/content/ ... m-ethanol/

so you don't have to take my word for it haha

This is a concern of mine now. I think adding some stable to your fuel is not a bad idea if you are getting fuel with ethanol. It says that BP is the only one that does not put Ethanol in their fuel.... Dont know how up to date that is now but its something to concider.
Just look up problems with Ethanol might be shocked.

For people that decide to use Stable fuel additive you must put it in new fuel not fuel that has potentially bad. Kinda common sence but .....

I looked for places in MI that did not have it in the fuel and found like 3 online so I guess its somthing I will have to deal with.

Also found a product called STAR TRON seems that Stable is about the same.
2008 Victory Red Z06

12.7 1/4 lol driver mod needed

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:05 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
yeh been through that here a little bit.. A lot of that affected marine applications more than automotive..
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18357&p=146125#p146125

After reading some of the Gm service bulletins I would be more concerned with what additives the companies are using in the gas..
The owners manual for your car should tell you what additives to stay away from and ect...
My g.f's car manual even mentions what companies Gm views as safe for Gm vehicles...
That is stock vehicles...

Ethanol was the sole reason I needed larger injectors... started running to lean.. and I was forced to either detune or increase the injector size and just spray more of it to get the same burn...

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:15 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
well it seems to be the standard that almost all fuel company have 10% or more what the heck?. It eats plastic and has a shelf life of 90 days, what is going on. I want regular gas back

I'm not so up to date on things that have happend in the US for the past 2 year haha.Time to move to the UK
2008 Victory Red Z06

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:33 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
That was all around right when you left, I guess there was and still is a lot of inconsistencies with Ethanol mixing in fuel...
From I have read it can fluctuate from 10-17%

A lot of cars had to retune and compensate for it, Even carb cars were swapping jets monthly from what I hear from friends...
The problem still seems to be affecting guys with wave runners and ect enough where they buy testers and or automatically add additives to compensate for it with each tank fill...
Except those guys were having a lot of warranty problems declined...

The computers can compensate for it in cars though it just isnt for the better though..

You just have to use your ears and listen for pinging on your car...

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:51 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
ethanol is basicly alcohol from what I get out of it and its not like its new TEC ,I'm just concerned because even in My Go KART if you run that crud you have to change the jets inorder for it to run properly.

Not trying to make it seem like its a conspiracy but from what I've seen it take alot of water to make it and corn. Those 2 thing keep people alive last time I checked.
Does Al Gore have stock in corn ??
2008 Victory Red Z06

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:11 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
It is the same as grain alcohol.. same thing you read on liquor bottles as alcohol proof % :lol:
197-8% proof gets you in to the 100% ethanol area...
Or even 188 proof, depending on water %'s

But yeh stock in corn and I believe Ethanol is a traded stock in its self too..

Just to water down and stretch out gas supplies...

Speaking of ethanol it is time for another shot... :lol: I am to buzzed to talk about this stuff haha

Return to Engine / Fuel / Starting / Charging System