• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

OPINION NEEDED: Mounting Door Lock Actuator horizontally

Post questions and answers about various interior related topics. Seat problems? Seat Belts, carpeting... Etc

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:10 am
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: I am the Administrator :-)
1992 Camaro Z28

It's come time to repair my passenger door (might as well do the driver too). My passenger inside lock does not slide all the way anymore using the factory (still riveted) door lock actuators. I had already already taken both door latch mechanisms and completely cleaned them out. I soaked both in degreaser overnight and went from gunked to actually sparkling clean. Re-white lithium lubed and it worked for a while but then came back. Now cannot count on my alarm actually LOCKING the doors.

I went thru the forum and do see all the tips of releaving friction and try those before replacing the factory actuators.. Now I did come across one posting where they bought those CHEAP CHINA actuators from ebay that are universal and mount HORIZONTAL alone the line of the rod itself rather than verticle inside the door and having to deal with the friction, bent rods, and worn out parts..

I just bought 2 universal Door Lock Actuators by DORMAN which come with a dust cover and a bracket each at a cost of $60ea. However rather than going thru the trouble of taking apart the door panel, replacing the factory ones with these dormans only to perhaps discover it didn't fix it, to perhaps try buying those CHEAP CHINA (Even those those DORMANS are CHINA) ones on ebay that mount horizontal . Those ones attach right to the rod itself so there is not really any chance of it not working right unless the actuator does not extend fully..

Looking at the ebay ones that sell as little as $20ea, 100's (some 500-700+) have been sold with NO discovered bad comments found... I find it hard to believe that you could pay $60 for 1, or $20 for ones on ebay that appear to have no negative responses...

Is there really THAT much difference between the DORMAN $60 and the $20, even tho the $20 ones look to be a FLAWLESS FIX since they mount right to the problematic rod itself?

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEI-524N-TWO-2- ... r#shpCntId is what was used in the picture.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1992 Camaro Z28. Blue/silver, Custom Blue/Silver Leather seats, Rebuilt Engine, Cammed, Headers, TT ][ Rims ...
NEW http://WWW.CAMAROSOURCE.CA
Over 3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Photo Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, 3,000+ Factory Options, Forums, Decoders, Reviews, Classifieds...
3,500+ Camaro Information Database

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:38 am
Minimum of 400 Posts
Minimum of 400 Posts
For years I tried to keep things moving freely so the locks would work properly, the factory actuators seemed strong enough. I kinda gave up after a while. But I recently installed some new actuators I got from the parts store (direct replacement style, might have been from NAPA) and the locks work just fine now. Even with the wobbly factory linkage.
Image Image

'86 IROC-Z 350tpi with some stuff, T56 six speed
'85 IROC-Z 305tpi, rare silver, project
'84 Z-28... the spare parts project

Return to Interior