• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

leaking t-top tip/fix

Post questions and answers about various interior related topics. Seat problems? Seat Belts, carpeting... Etc

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:27 pm
Minimum of 200 Posts
Minimum of 200 Posts
i got this from a friend who has t-tops. putting vaseline on the weather stripping where the t-tops go. i doubted this at first, kinda laughed when i first heard it. well last night i put some on the t-tops becuase it was suppose to rain today(which it did) ....and no kidding, it actually worked. grant you i had minor leaks, but my interior is now bone dry.
Give it a try, it worked for me.

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:57 pm
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
I hope it doesn`t eat away at the rubber.

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:21 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
I use the Gm Goodwrench Dielectric silicone grease on mine Part number
(PN 12345579)
No leaks so far , I dont know if 3rd gen cars weather stripping has drain holes but all the 4th gen cars do
And their built right into the weather stripping i test mine for blocked up every so often with a pitcher of water with the t-tops off to make sure they drain properly

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:23 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Paul lodge
im thinkin about taking mine off just using a big glob of silicone and putting the old weatherstripping back on , how do ya like me now :lol:
'74 454 .030 Over 4.250 Stroke 489, SRP Forged 0.030 Flat Tops, Crane Z Blower .632/.632 244/256 Cam, Weiand 871 Roots Blower, 2 x 800cfm Barry Grant Speed Demon Carb, Procomp 320cc Heads Race Package, CSR Electric Water Pump, TH400 FUll Manual Reverse Valve Body Sportsman Trans Brake 3000 Stall, 9" Rearend 31 Spline 3.70 Gears.

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:58 am
Minimum of 200 Posts
Minimum of 200 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Internet
Use KY jelly! Ooops wrong thread :oops:
1985 Z-28 70.000 Miles stock SOLD!
I have two Ford 5.0 now. One is supercharged.
Hate me now! I still love Camaros

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:51 pm
* $151 - $200 *
* $151 - $200 *
ins0mnia24 wrote:
I use the Gm Goodwrench Dielectric silicone grease on mine Part number
(PN 12345579)

That is the correct way to do it, although I'm sure many mild petroleum base things like vaseline do just as well. All you're really doing is sealing the rubber against the elements.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:25 am
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Minimum of 1000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Google....many years ago
Vasoline is a temporary fix....It also works well on refrigeraters where the seal is coming loose. All it does is help reseal the weatherstripping to the glass. And because it is waterproof the seal will hold pretty well. UNLESS you have a terrential downpour. Just make sure you check it every once in a while, it thins out.
1999 Z/28 LS1 6-Speed, SLP cold air whisperlid w/ K&N filter. Bassini Extreme exhaust w/ highflow cats and SLP loud mouth tips. B&M short throw w/ Husrst knob. Performance brakes. Other bolt ons.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:26 pm
Minimum of 200 Posts
Minimum of 200 Posts
MyApethy29 wrote:
Vasoline is a temporary fix....It also works well on refrigeraters where the seal is coming loose. All it does is help reseal the weatherstripping to the glass. And because it is waterproof the seal will hold pretty well. UNLESS you have a terrential downpour. Just make sure you check it every once in a while, it thins out.

yeah, thats pretty much what i'm going to do until i can afford to buy new weather stripping. it's a good temp fix.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:13 pm
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Surfing
blizzard459 wrote:
yeah, thats pretty much what i'm going to do until i can afford to buy new weather stripping. it's a good temp fix.

Your right. It does work. Later after you get new weather stripping, switch to the GM silicone emulsion (or equivalent) for the long term care.
1989 Iroc-Z, 305 TPI, 5 spd, 3.08 diff My Car Domain Website

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:17 pm
IrocTopless wrote:
blizzard459 wrote:

Your right. It does work. Later after you get new weather stripping, switch to the GM silicone emulsion (or equivalent) for the long term care.

Does the silicone emulsion leave a film on the windows when you take the windows off to drive around when the weather gets good? And do you clean off the silicone emulsion after the rain go away until next season?

thanks,
Owl

1987 Z28 Camaro - 305 TPI - automatic - now being restored

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:10 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
It's not like vaseline, it's not greasy or oily.
It's not like silicone caulking used around the house, it's not sticky or gooey.
It's more like a paste. You can apply it just with your fingers. You rub it it to the weatherstripping and it's almost like it's absorbed. Kind'a like sunscreen on your skin.
After it's worked in (you can see the improved difference quite easily) just wipe off any access that might have got on the glass or paint.
You shouldn't have any problem with a film on your windows. And it has a pretty good durability. Even with the odd rain, you'll probably need to do it only a few times the whole year.

Hope that answers your question. :)

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:58 am
IrocTopless wrote:
It's not like vaseline, it's not greasy or oily.
It's not like silicone caulking used around the house, it's not sticky or gooey.
It's more like a paste. You can apply it just with your fingers. You rub it it to the weatherstripping and it's almost like it's absorbed. Kind'a like sunscreen on your skin.
After it's worked in (you can see the improved difference quite easily) just wipe off any access that might have got on the glass or paint.
You shouldn't have any problem with a film on your windows. And it has a pretty good durability. Even with the odd rain, you'll probably need to do it only a few times the whole year.

Hope that answers your question. :)

Thanks IrocTopless for the answer to my question! :? Sounds like I'm going to get a tube to use after I replace the weather stripping on my Z28. It's hasn't leaked since I drove my Z28 off the Chevy dealers lot back in '87, but I want to restore the car and keep it in tip top shape! :wink:
Owl

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:44 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Wow! 8O
- Original owner.
- Camaro getting restored.

Lucky car! :thumbup: That's awesome. :)

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:56 am
IrocTopless wrote:
Wow! 8O
- Original owner.
- Camaro getting restored.

Lucky car! :thumbup: That's awesome. :)

Yup! Original owner! I have a gunmetal gray Z28 and the only thing I hated about it was the red interior (was the last Z28 on the lot at the time and they didn't have any IROC's)! :cry: I haven't driven in much the past five years but I decided to change the interior to black and gray! :) So while I'm at it, I'm going to replace all the weather stripping and have it repainted too! Then it'll become my weekend cruiser and fun car (it's always been a fun car!) :wink:

That's why I'm came to this board. To learn more stuff to better restore my car with! :lol:
Owl

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:27 pm
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: nowhere
I have a 84 Z-28. My T-Tops leak where the front left cornors meet the glass. I've replaced the gaskets and it improved the matter for 6 months but leaked thereafter. Any suggestions? Thanks.

So, if I understand you, CORMOR, you replaced the gaskets on the T-Tops themselves w/ door tape? If true, that appears to be an interesting and easy fix. Thanks. good luck
Last edited by jaynooner on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:22 pm
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Been here for years off and on. Maybe a google search?
When I got my camaro it had crappy seals on the tops themselves. I replaced these with the thick foam tape you would use to seal doors bought at home depot. Used to leave a puddle in the pass back seat floor pan. Now its dry as a bone.

Return to Interior