• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

TUTORIAL - Changing AC/HVAC Bulb in 90-92 Camaro

Post questions and answers about various interior related topics. Seat problems? Seat Belts, carpeting... Etc

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:29 pm
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: I am the Administrator :-)
Here I will descibe how *I* changed my bulb in my AC/HVAC control module (What you use to change AC/heat/Defrost/etc.)

Tools:

- #194 auto Bulb
- T15 TORX screwdriver
- 7mm Socket wrench / Screwdriver
- THIN ARMS
- Digital Camera (If you want to ensure you re-install EXACTLY how it was before, this is my little trick that I do before and during repairs. No needing to write down anything, simply take a pic and you have easy access to refer back to it at any time.)

PIC #1 : NIGHT TIME view of radio & AC/HVAC

1. Using the T15 TORX screwdriver, unscrew the (3) screws on the radio trim panel. (Arrows indicate screws)

FYI: You may assume there is a fourth screwdriver under the corner of the dash that you see in the top left corner of the trim. This is actually a FAKE screw. Once you have the 3 screws removed, then you can CAREFULLY work the trim away.

TIP: If you remove the 4 screws (same T15 TORX) on the shifter console panel (ashtray) it may make it easier to pop the trim off as it tends to wedge itself between the shifter console panel.

2. Using the 7mm Socket screwdriver (socket will work, but I chose to use the screwdriver type), unscrew the (3) screws off the AC/HVAC control module.

3. Using your 7mm Socket screwdriver, unscrew the radio.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Once you disconnect the radio, you WILL have to re-program any settings you ented (ie. changed BASS/TRESS/ memorized radio stations / clock).

NOTE: I only know the Radio/CD player (what is pictured in the pics). When you start to pull out the radio/cd player, there will be an antenna cord on the right side (be gentle when removing it so not to bend it).

4. Once the radio/cd player's antenna is unplugged, rotate the unit towards the left and you'll now see 3 plugs: (Blue, Black, White).

TIP: NOW would be a good idea to snap a pic to get an idea how they plug in for re-installation.

3. Pull the AC/HVAC out a bit (can pull it only like an inch because the cable under it prevents you from pulling it out more).

4. Now comes time to reach behind and above the HVAC module to the far right. The bulb socket is on the back of the unit. You twist it to remove.

5. This is hard to describe without a picture, and believe me I TRIED to get a picture of how I positioned my fingers on both hands to reach around the top and underneath the HVAC to access the bulb socket but that left me without any hands to hold the camera.

Basically sitting in the PASSENGER SEAT, I used my pointer finger on the LEFT hand and reached OVER the HVAC (with it carefully pulled out as much as it will go). Using the pointer finger you position it on bulb socket. Then with my RIGHT hand, I reach UNDER the HVAC where the radio once was and reach the finger onto the bulb socket.. NOW THE FUN PART. You need to somehow (can take time and frustration) to twist the socket.

6. Once the socket is out, reach under HVAC through the radio opening and pull the wire through.

7. Pull out the old bulb and replace with a new #194 auto bulb.

8. REVERSE steps 6 - 1

NOTE: I never even knew that the AC/HVAC lit up since it never did since I bought my car in 1998. Someone told me and I went to replace it. You likely are NOT going to be brilliantly impressed with the lit up display. The bulb is on the FAR RIGHT and so the RIGHT side is bright (not so much) and then fades MUCH dimmer towards the left.

GM should have either put 2 bulbs (one on either side), or positioned the 1 bulb in the MIDDLE rather than brighter on one end and dimmer on the other.

See for yourself.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

1992 Camaro Z28. Blue/silver, Custom Blue/Silver Leather seats, Rebuilt Engine, Cammed, Headers, TT ][ Rims ...
NEW http://WWW.CAMAROSOURCE.CA
Over 3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Photo Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, 3,000+ Factory Options, Forums, Decoders, Reviews, Classifieds...
3,500+ Camaro Information Database

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:33 pm
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: I am the Administrator :-)
The NORMAL instructions is to pull out the HVAC completely. You must disconnect the metal cable (rod) under the HVAC control but I was unable to figure it out and so I came up with the above way to reaching above and below to reach the bulb.

I feel MY way is MUCH easier than fussing with a cable (hard to get at, hard to disconnect, and one wrong move and you can break your HVAC control).
1992 Camaro Z28. Blue/silver, Custom Blue/Silver Leather seats, Rebuilt Engine, Cammed, Headers, TT ][ Rims ...
NEW http://WWW.CAMAROSOURCE.CA
Over 3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Photo Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, 3,000+ Factory Options, Forums, Decoders, Reviews, Classifieds...
3,500+ Camaro Information Database

Return to Interior