• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

wacky tach?

Post questions and answers about various Electronic problems. What chip should I use? Need assistance in wiring up your alarm system? Assistance with setting up your new auto CD Player or video? Here is where you will find your answer.

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:21 pm
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Been here for years off and on. Maybe a google search?
Anyone else out there got a tachometer that runs at like 2x or 3x real rpms? I have no idea whats causing it, its not really a problem... just an annoyance because you never know your rpms.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:43 pm
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Cardomain
Mine is way off too. I have heard it is a problem with alot of the later 3rd gens. I haven't ever come across a fix for it.

1991 Camaro RS 3.1 V-6, Flowmaster exhuast, TPI air intake, Hypertech chip, 180* thermostat, accel super coil, white face glow gauges.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:55 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Been here for years off and on. Maybe a google search?
Yeah, I guess the previous owner of my car did some wiring to the car. I pulled some unatached ground wires out from undernieth and he had some switch wiring that was hidden below the shift plate. Just wasnt sure if his bad wiring caused my tach wires to be reading a different voltage somehow.

Do you know what year they switched from mechanical tach to electronic?

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:17 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Cardomain
I think they switched around 90 but I am not 100% sure.

1991 Camaro RS 3.1 V-6, Flowmaster exhuast, TPI air intake, Hypertech chip, 180* thermostat, accel super coil, white face glow gauges.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:57 pm
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: I am the Administrator :-)
That's not too uncommon.. When I had my custom chip programmed, a laptop was hooked up which showed all the information live. All my other guages were perfect but turns out due to the speed limited GM used in the car, when I was pushing 7000RPM, it was really only 5000 or so..
1992 Camaro Z28. Blue/silver, Custom Blue/Silver Leather seats, Rebuilt Engine, Cammed, Headers, TT ][ Rims ...
NEW http://WWW.CAMAROSOURCE.CA
Over 3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Photo Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, 3,000+ Factory Options, Forums, Decoders, Reviews, Classifieds...
3,500+ Camaro Information Database

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:48 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Did you get yours fixed by any chance CS? When im cruising at highway speeds my tach is topped out past red line and holding itself at the end of the tach itself.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:15 am
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
C0RM0R wrote:
Did you get yours fixed by any chance CS? When im cruising at highway speeds my tach is topped out past red line and holding itself at the end of the tach itself.

Part of the custom chip programming was to remove the limitations so it was removed, yes.
1992 Camaro Z28. Blue/silver, Custom Blue/Silver Leather seats, Rebuilt Engine, Cammed, Headers, TT ][ Rims ...
Over 3,500 Camaro Trims, 1,600+ Photo Spotter's Guide, 2,500+ Std. & Opt. Accessories, 3,000+ Factory Options, Forums, Decoders, Reviews, Classifieds...

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:26 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
So a chip can be programmed to get rid of this bug correct? Im not sure I understand when you say Limitations.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:14 pm
** Administrator **
** Administrator **
C0RM0R wrote:
So a chip can be programmed to get rid of this bug correct? Im not sure I understand when you say Limitations.

Here is a copy/paste of what they have on their site. They are an sponsor on here, banner above.

Speed Limiter Tuning - Includes Speedometer Calibration

If you've upgraded to high-performance tires, chances are you're missing out on additional speed.

Many vehicles these days have an electronic speed limiter. Manufacturers typically limit the vehicle's speed to the original tires' speed rating. This is far less than your vehicle's true top speed potential.

In addition, if you've switched to a tire with a different overall diameter, your speedometer will read incorrectly. An update to the engine controller will help develop a trusting relationship between you and your gauges. You may even save a few dollars on speeding tickets!

Now you can reach new speeds at an affordable price.
Speed Limiter Tuning includes:

* Vehicle Speed Limiter Removal
* Speedometer Calibration

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:12 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
CS that sounds like its if you've changed tire diameter. My tire size is stock and my speedo works fine. :? Its just the tach thats running wacky.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:27 am
Minimum of 2000 Posts
Minimum of 2000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Roj told me. He is my hero. One day, im gonna grow up and be just like him, You'll see.
yeah reading that advertisement, it doesnt seem to have anything to do with the tach. All they are doing is recalirating the speedo for bigger tires, and removing the top speed shut down.

Unless they are talking about removing the rev limiter on the car. I can see that maybe messing with a tach.

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:20 pm
My tach shows double too. My car sat for almost 6 years, and I don't remember it doing this before that....but maybe. I also threw in a new MSD GM coil(before she sat), maybe that screwed it.

I would like to know where the tach gets it's info from. I've heard it's the coil, so I might try and switch a stock one in there.

I know my truck takes it from the alternator, but not sure on these cars.

I read an article somewhere that had a fix for most of these tach problems.....something about some diodes in our guage....some really technical crap.....too much for me (and most others). Would be nice if someone could put the answer into simpler terms. I found it over at http://camaroforums.com/ I'm sure it wouldn't take long to find. This seems to be a commin issue.

I hear replacing the whole cluster can fix it....but thats expensive!!!

But yeah, can someone please tell me where our tachs pick up from?

Mine is a '90 IROC with the new style cluster.

Thanks

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:38 pm
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Google search
Hi CORMOR. Don't know if you've fixed your overeading tacho yet, but I had the same snag on my old 1990 RS 3.1 v6. Even bought an ignition module in an attempt to fix it (it didn't). It appears it's very common on 1990 - '92 Camaros. Looks like it's to do with some circuit board which can be corrected by swapping capacitors on it - all a bit much for my level of expertise. This link explains what you can do if you feel you have the "know how".

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/elect ... r-fix.html

Hope it helps.
I've just traded my 90 3rd gen in for a 95 3.4lt v6, after almost 19years together! Still miss her, but love the newer one!
Cheers.
Phil UK

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:54 pm
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Thanks Phil. I used to donate my time at an electronics recycling center and the gentleman, Jim, who ran it was an engineer who taught me some soldering among other knowledge for life. I'll give that thread a read through and hopefully put it to use in the spring.

Im sorry for your loss... hopefully your new marriage will be worth its time. :)

Return to Electrical / Car Audio / Alarms