• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

67 Camaro tail/brake lights don’t work.

Post questions and answers about various Electronic problems. What chip should I use? Need assistance in wiring up your alarm system? Assistance with setting up your new auto CD Player or video? Here is where you will find your answer.

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:51 am
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: another member
Need assistance with an electrical problem in a 67 Camaro, specifically that the tail lights and brake lights don’t work. This is not a RS or SS car (if that matters).

Front headlights (hi and lo beams), park lights, flashers and blinkers (front and rear) all work. Blinkers and flashers are somewhat irregular in flashing rhythm but they do work.

I’ve ruled out that this could be a ground issue with the body or the tail light housings. The brake/tail fuse is good (verified with a volt meter on both sides of the fuse). I’ve installed a new light switch in the dash. With the ignition on and the headlight switch on, there is only power to the red and blue wires in the light switch (12v). The remaining wires (brown, white, green, orange, purple) show only a trace of voltage (.018v on 2v scale). There is also no voltage on any wires at the connector for the rear wiring loom.

Sure hope someone has the silver bullet!!

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:01 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
The end ground of the taillights are the light sockets in the housing. Many times the metal prongs bend and don't make good enough contact with the housing to make a good ground, especially if they have been removed too many times. Try replacing the sockets which can be found at any auto parts store, and lightly sand the inside of the housing. the socket must have a tight contact.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:25 am
Just tried that and it didn't solve the problem (sure was hoping you were right). All the sockets are new. I actually connected one of them directly to a body ground in the trunk and it didn't light up. I think the problem is further upstream

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:48 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
ChevyNut wrote:
Just tried that and it didn't solve the problem (sure was hoping you were right). All the sockets are new. I actually connected one of them directly to a body ground in the trunk and it didn't light up. I think the problem is further upstream

OK, one more simple idea, try some different dual filament bulbs. I've purchased bad ones in the past.........

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:13 am
All the bulbs are new. I just swapped out a couple of those with some others I had onhand. They work on flashers and blinkers.

Shouldn't I be getting a voltage reading on the brown wire where the rear loom connects to the harness under the dash?

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:29 pm
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
ChevyNut wrote:
All the bulbs are new. I just swapped out a couple of those with some others I had onhand. They work on flashers and blinkers.

Shouldn't I be getting a voltage reading on the brown wire where the rear loom connects to the harness under the dash?

Sorry, not sure of the exact color of wiring on a 67. But there is one common potential problem, you may have a bad turn signal switch, it's part of the entire loop. Try jiggling it with the lights on and see if they work.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:07 pm
Gave that a try but it didn't help. The blinkers and flashers do work. Are there a couple of wires I can jump across on that loom to confirm that the turn signal switch/loom is bad? That doesn't look like it's fun to get to!!!
thx much!!

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:07 pm
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Man, I don't know. Like I said it's usually a ground problem. I don't know about a 67, but there is another ground by the trunk/lock support strut in the 68 you might want to check. I'd also make sure you have a true ground at the socket. You could actually sort of rig a setup just by getting some 12 gage wire and pinching it between the light socket and housing when you click the sockets into place, and then ground it.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:09 pm
Yeah, I suspected bad ground too so I ran a wire direct from the neg terminal on the battery all the way to the trunk. I've connected that to one of the sockets. I'm pretty sure it's on the power side, somewhere in the steering wheel loom or in the dash loom. If you have any hints on which connections to test to chase that down I'd love to hear them!!
thx again.....

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:42 pm
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
ChevyNut wrote:
The brake/tail fuse is good (verified with a volt meter on both sides of the fuse). I’ve installed a new light switch in the dash. With the ignition on and the headlight switch on, there is only power to the red and blue wires in the light switch (12v). The remaining wires (brown, white, green, orange, purple) show only a trace of voltage (.018v on 2v scale). There is also no voltage on any wires at the connector for the rear wiring loom.

I just re-read this, before you start following the wires back, the fuse may be good, but the connector contact with it may be bad. Did you remove the fuse and clean the holder? Just one more simple thing to try.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:10 pm
I'll double-check that. I actually did a voltage test on the tabs (connector contacts) instead of the fuse. Can't hurt to check that again.

I happened to have another steering column so I plugged it into the loom (and grounded it). That didn't help but that's not to say that the blinker assy is good in it either. Thought I'd try it since I had it.

(did I say how much I hate electrical problems!!?!??!?) posting.php?mode=reply&f=82&t=18223#

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:20 pm
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Web browser, I was searching the web looking for a solution to a problem I'm having with my Camaro.
Did you ever find the problem? I'm having the same problem with my '67 Camaro.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:28 am
Man, that's been awhile ago!! Pretty sure this ended up being the turn signal switch that's mounted on the steering column. The odd thing was that it worked ok before the complete resto but decided to fail after reassembly. Guess "Murphy" was messin' with me.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:57 am
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Web browser, I was searching the web looking for a solution to a problem I'm having with my Camaro.
It was a few years back, unfortunately I'm having this problem now. My Camaro is an everyday driver, maybe one day I'll have the money to restore It. I've changed the column out and had the original one sitting around until the wife had a different idea for what I needed to do with it. So, it ended up getting thrown away. Now, I guess I'm out the $$$$$ for the turn signal switch. Thanks, you probably just saved me an hour or two of endless hunting.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:37 am
double check all the other items in this string as any of them could be your problem. A bad ground is usually the issue with flaky or bad bulbs next. The odd thing about this switch going bad was when it happened. I document all the electrical functions before I tear a car down and the blinkers worked before the resto. That's why I didn't start with the blinker switch on the column right away.
Have fun!!!.....ChevyNut

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:10 pm
I'll check everything out, thanks again for your help. My mama bought this car new and it's been my everyday driver for about twelve years now. It could use some prettying up but it still runs great. Did I mention it was a rag top?

Return to Electrical / Car Audio / Alarms