• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

Fans Not Coming On Until Engine Way Too Hot

Post questions and answers about your cooling system. Problems with your radiator? AC not coming out cold enough? Here is where you will find your answer.

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:49 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
It makes me crazy... And, I know it makes everyone else crazy, too.

The apparent design of 3rd and 4th generation Camaros, and the Corvette as well, was to let the engine heat to 230° before the low-speed fans come on, and 250° before the high-speed fan kicks in.

Being caught in slow traffic seems to be the most common culprit.

250° is in the range to blow a head gasket.. So, it's a built-in bug.

Normal operating temperature seems to be in the !80° range.

The fans don't automatically turn off until normal operating temperature is attained.

It makes me crazy.

Was there ever a factory fix for this?... Was there ever a dealer fix for this?... Is there an aftermarket fix for this?

It seems to me, that if you were to install a momentary switch to the fan relay to get the fans started when you see the temperature begin to rise would be a viable option.

If this has been done, I'd like to get the details.

Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1996 Standard Convertible, 3.8L, Automatic.
Arctic White w/White Top.
Purchased: Oct. 2006...Still Grinning.

Return to Cooling & Heating System