• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

First bit of progress on my dead car...

All OFF-TOPIC posts. KEEP IT CLEAN!

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:59 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Abob visited me in a dream and told me about it.
Getting there slowly. These last couple months has been awful trying to arrange getting my replacement engine..

Firstly, anyone i've contacted about shipping either hasn't got back to me or is being funny about taking delivery of the item not collecting it.

Found somewhere that will take collection in Atlanta, ship to UK, deliver the engine to my friends house for £365...or $800. Then I'll have insurance, import duty (10%) and sales tax (17.5%) on the cost of the engine + shipping...so probably looking at $3k. Then fitting...!

Hope it's going to be worth it!!! Poor Camaro has weeds growing through the alloys and in the engine bay so will have to get it moved soonish.
1994/L Z28 6SPDMAN, K&N CAI, Jet PCHIP. Flowmaster Cat back, 52mm Edelbrock TB, Pacesetter mid-tube headers.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:55 am
Minimum of 60 Posts
Minimum of 60 Posts
wow 3k? Is this just a stock engine or a high performance one?

IF stock, it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to rebuild it yourself. Its not that hard, the machiining is the most important part, then you just have to put things in the engine in the right order at the right torque and your good to go! Just a thought, i hate paying others for work i could do heh.
1985 IROC-Z, 305TPI. In the works. Plan to put a T56 in it soon.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:31 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Abob visited me in a dream and told me about it.
The engine's $1900 (it's only done 40k miles the seller says) but with all the shipping, fitting, tax, etc, it'll probably all come to about that. Doubt I could get it done cheaper. I'm sure it's pretty screwed inside too!

Plus I can sell the broken lump here for $1000 probably!
1994/L Z28 6SPDMAN, K&N CAI, Jet PCHIP. Flowmaster Cat back, 52mm Edelbrock TB, Pacesetter mid-tube headers.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:53 am
Minimum of 60 Posts
Minimum of 60 Posts
1k cash back isnt bad at all! I hope it wouldnt be screwed afer 40k. But i hope all else goes well! What happened to your older one?
1985 IROC-Z, 305TPI. In the works. Plan to put a T56 in it soon.

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:48 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
No it's not too bad really. They're hard to come by over here so a lot of engine shops would love to get their hands on one to do a rebuild on.
At least I hope they would! haha

Well the head gaskets went and then after a 3 month wait, got the car back, drove it 5 miles and it overheated and died screaming and grinding.

And now it runs like krap for up to a minute, misfires, grinds, squeaks and clunks. The diagnosis is the main bearings have gone from when the gaskets were leaking water into the rest of the block in the oil....who knows!

But I figure getting a new engine is easier than me taking the old one aparts and having to order loads of bits from the states to get ti working again.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:25 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Engine ordered and on it's way (I hope or I'm £1000 our of pocket!) :lol:

Final cost of engine without transmission was $1985.

Shipping will be around $700 but won't know for sure until it comes through customs and excise.

They reckon 18 days from receipt at Alanta freight terminal max.

Might well have it fixed and driving before the start of Autumn after all.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:11 am
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Google.ca
Yeah, my car's pretty dead too..only drove it once since september!! Engine's all screwed up, but I found a FREE 350 that runs so if I can get ahold of the guy I may have a noew motor haha.

-OSS
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/802958

Swift ViSSion; Camarosource.ca Visual Department

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:03 pm
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
Good to hear Roj
Did you by any chance confirm or verify the block and cylinder head casting numbers to make sure you are getting a Iron block/ Aluminum head LT-1???

a local guy here bought an LT-1 off of Ebay and received a 4.3 liter Version :lol:
It would also suck to get an Impala LT-1 with iron heads to :lol:

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:20 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *

Yeah, my car's pretty dead too..only drove it once since september!! Engine's all screwed up, but I found a FREE 350 that runs so if I can get ahold of the guy I may have a noew motor haha.

I know that feeling! Sorry to hear that but if you've got a FREE one, that's a result!

Good to hear Roj
Did you by any chance confirm or verify the block and cylinder head casting numbers to make sure you are getting a Iron block/ Aluminum head LT-1???

a local guy here bought an LT-1 off of Ebay and received a 4.3 liter Version
It would also suck to get an Impala LT-1 with iron heads to

Yeah I was a little concerned about that too...but the guy has a large selection on Ebay and he knows it's for a Camaro so fingers crossed it'll go smoothly and I'll get a decent motor after all this hassle!

http://www.24hourauto.net

That's the companies website - they only appear to have one Camaro engine on there right now and it's an LS1 but he says he sold 3 or 4 LT1s last week - demand has been really high for some reason.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:53 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Dramas, dramas....it's like Dawson's Creek up in here!

Well the UK shipping agent said they contacted the US shipping agent in Florida. The were expecting the engine from Jacksonville. It's not coming from Jacksonville. It's coming from....Pensylvania! Great - another few weeks to wait until it travels southwards down the coast until it at least gets to where it's going to be shipped from...My car is looking very sad. Any tips on leaving it outside for long periods of time? It's covered, battery disconnected and I dip the clutch every other day a few times. Any other ideas?

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:27 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
My engine has turned up at the shipping depot in Atlanta! That's the good news. Unfortuneately, it's not "packaged for export"
Not entirely sure what that means but I do know it means paying the shipping agent more $$$ for packaging it properly.
But it's at least made it some of the way here.

Going to see if I can get some pics of it. I hope it's not an Impala or Roadmaster LT1 - I'd probably cry! :lol:

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:23 am
Minimum of 600 Posts
Minimum of 600 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: www.google.com
aww man im sorry to hear that but i hope everything goes alrite n u get tha ol' camaro back on the road again......best of luck :D
my 85 IROC-Z-350 4 bolt main,700r tranny,B&M shift kit,edelbrock performer intake,holley carb,headman headers,magnaflow exhaust,charcoal/black interior,new paint and more this year

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:34 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Thanks man, I hope so too. :)

The guy sent me some pics:

(Can't really tell much about it but at least I know something's coming!)

He said it'll probably cos $6.80 per cubic foot to crate properly, so around $500. They said I could risk shipping as is but they won't take any responsibility for it. I said I'd pay!

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:37 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
It's on a boat, steaming across the Atlantic!

I say steaming but it doesn't sound like it's going to be here that fast - they reckon the 12th. Then I get the customs bill...that's going to hurt.

The guy who's going to do the transplant is away for two weeks from the 11th so they'll have to keep hold of the engine for a bit anyway. Why's it never easy?!

One step closer though! :)

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:56 am
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
I get the engine on Saturday.

It has cost me: £1013 for the engine
£961 for shipping, VAT, import duty, packing and delivery in the UK.

Thats: £1974 = CA$4,210.74 , US$3,986.89

Could have bought another camaro for that money.

This engine better work perfectly or I'm going to be rather annoyed....

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:08 am
* Moderator *
* Moderator *
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Cardomain
Rojbarker wrote:
I get the engine on Saturday.

It has cost me: £1013 for the engine
£961 for shipping, VAT, import duty, packing and delivery in the UK.

Thats: £1974 = CA$4,210.74 , US$3,986.89

Could have bought another camaro for that money.

This engine better work perfectly or I'm going to be rather annoyed....

That's an expensive engine swap. I hope everything works well for you.

1991 Camaro RS 3.1 V-6, Flowmaster exhuast, TPI air intake, Hypertech chip, 180* thermostat, accel super coil, white face glow gauges.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:25 pm
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Thanks clw91rs - I hope so too!

I'll post more when I make any progress....might be a few months!

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:07 pm
Minimum of 60 Posts
Minimum of 60 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: google
Rojbarker........best of luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Nice to see someone else from Andover :!: I've been in Canada since '93 but I still miss home :cry:

TTFN

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:07 pm
Minimum of 60 Posts
Minimum of 60 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: google
Rojbarker........best of luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Nice to see someone else from Andover :!: I've been in Canada since '93 but I still miss home :cry:

TTFN

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:57 pm
* $1 - $50 *
* $1 - $50 *
Thanks for that!

Seriously you used to live in Andover?!

Next

Return to Lounge