• Store
  • Photo's
  • Reviews
  • Classifieds
  • Camaro Info Database
Welcome to CamaroSource.ca
camarosource
Welcome Guest,

You are currently viewing our forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most posts. JOIN our community, and gain full access to not only the message board, but our other many features of the site such as Classifieds, Camaro Gallery, and our Product Reviews as well as other features that will become active at a later date.

Registering with us FREE, fast and a very simple step, join the Camarosource.ca community today!

Already a member? Login to gain full access Now!

Thanks for stopping by.

Username

Password

Log me on automatically

81 Camaro MOOG K5208 upper ball joints

Problems with your Suspension, Chassis, or Brakes? Problems fitting your quarterl panel? Suspension problems? Fiberglass hood fitting problems? Steering problems? Here is where you'll find the answer.

Moderator: Moderators

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:54 pm
Hey all,

I am finally putting my 1981 Camaro back together. The stud on the upper ball joint from MOOG (K2508) seems to be too big for the upper bore in the steering knuckle.

Has anybody else has this issue with MOOG replacement parts?

Thanks in advance.
Life's too short, drive faster!

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:00 am
Minimum of 2000 Posts
Minimum of 2000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Roj told me. He is my hero. One day, im gonna grow up and be just like him, You'll see.
Its a 5208 right? Ive never had that problem with thier parts. Who shipped it? maybe thats the problem?

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:29 am
Hey abob,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it was boxed wrong but I went to the local CarQuest after seeing your post and double checked another set of K5208s from MOOG and they were exactly the same; same stamping at the end of the stud; same fit or lack of fit iin the top of the knuckle.

I cleaned any surface rust or paint from the bore in the knuckle but it didn't help. The casting numbers on the spindles are 371675 LH and 371676 RH. Most Camaro websites confrim that the 80-81 Camaros came with these spindles. Besides, I'm 99% sure they are original. Do you know if the spindles with these casting numbers should take a different upper ball joint?

Thanks again.

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:29 am
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Minimum of 4000 Posts
Where Did You Hear Of Camarosource.ca?: Boobs
I would try and talk to some one Moog to help you...
Worse case scenario you can get your money back..

This is the first fitment issue I have ever heard of with Moog...

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:08 am
UPDATE: The ball joint stem seems to be too long for the knuckle.... or the boot is too short. The ball joint threads extend through the knuckle but the straight part of the ball joint stem is showing between the boot and the knuckle. You can see there is a 1/2" gap between the ball joint boot and the knuckle. I originally thought the taper was wrong but when I measured the tapered bore in the knuckle, it matched the taper on the ball joint (it was around 0.630" at top and 0.615" at the bottom). In the past, whenever working on GM cars, if I install the knuckle onto the ball joint stem, it will always crush the boot before I even thread on the castellated nut. This is not the case here.

I'm waiting to here back from Federal Mogul but I may call the local AC Delco dealer.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:42 am
With my tail between my legs, I walked out of the parts store yesterday realizing that I wasn't pushing the ball joint boot far enough into the cup in order for the boot to seat against the lip in the cup. When I went to install them, I kept accidentally pushing the boot back up into the cup, which is why the boot never reached the knuckle.
It helps to have knowledgeable parts guys at the local Miele Auto Parts. Now, it fits.

Return to Steering, Suspension, Body, Chassis, Brakes